kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

I am kind of rooting for like a $110-120 mil opening now, that would be about what the original adjusted is and would give next weekend a chance at beating last year's comp

Edited by AniNate

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

I suppose it is a lost cause now to fight for the "$85mil is an ok opening actually" narrative

It is a very good opening in today's shrunken threatrical box office, but sad to say a lot of people here still think it is 2019 as far as box office goes.

A lot of people here just do not want to  admit that theater attendence overall has taken horrid blows since 2020, and the loss of overall audience is permanent.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

I suppose it is a lost cause now to fight for the "$85mil is an ok opening actually" narrative

It is a bit of an hard one for me.

Inside Out like Moana is one of the biggest movies of the 2000s (when you consider year after year their numbers on rental, streaming, etc...), so opening lower than the first one instead of a Frozen type of jump could be a big deception.

On the other way around, since they trained people to watch those at home, box office numbers for Pixar and Disney animation have been between disastrous and bad, Toy Story had a 50m start, Wish made 64m total....

$85M in that post 2020 Disney animation context could look good to me.