Eric the Marxist

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

50 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

I took some friends Friday night to see Kinds of Kindness. They're complete normies but we've made a tradition of going to the movies once at least every 2 weeks but usually every week. And I'm the one that picks the movies we see.

Let's just say my cred was hurt by it. I knew it was a bad idea but holy I did not want to see DM4. Should've picked it tho. They despised KoK.

PS: Honestly, even I didn't like it that much. Bit of a hard one to sit through.

It's definitely an acquired taste. An F CinemaScore would have been guaranteed if it had been put in true wide release and pitched to a mainstream audience.

I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I can't deny that it's one of the weirdest, most sick-in-the-head movies I've seen in a while.

Posted (edited)

I'm not all that invested in the success of the Despicable Me/Minions franchise, but I'm happy to see such a big debut for Despicable Me 4. I'll agree with the general consensus that the two-year covid delay for Rise of Gru ended up being a huge boon for the franchise since it has now been going long enough that it also has something of a nostalgic pull (see: the Gentleminions trend with Rise of Gru).

It's kinda hilarious to think that this franchise is so huge 15 years after the first trailer - which was basically the opening scene of the first film, but given with absolutely no context - debuted to the collective bafflement of the internet. To make it even weirder, the first place I saw that trailer was in front of the Sandler/Rogen/Apatow comedy Funny People - a two-and-a-half-hour R-rated comedy with aspirations of being taken seriously as an adult dramedy. And now here we are.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Eric the Minion said:

I mean maybe you don't like race being brought up, but that is a legit query to bring up on a movie's box office potential. Like movies are skewing more and more towards minority viewers, and generally these types of sword and sandal movies generally skew towards old white dudes, like my dad. Of course that doesn't mean it's only that specific demo that likes it and nobody else is into it. And I'm sure I will be proven spectacularly wrong once the movie comes out and we get Deadline's demos. But I'm making an educated guess. The same educated guess everybody else gets to make for any other movie ever. 

He actually used to bully me on a daily basis for a solid year or two. To the point where I had mental issues and was afraid to even go on the forum I was an administrator of. And let me tell you, people sharing his tweets here, even using the "Voldemort" nickname, does not help at all. It actually makes me sick to my stomach seeing his stupid avatar. But when I brought it up, people insisted that I was being emotional. That we just have to share his posts. That we have to have his box office tweets up here, even though Charlie shares the exact same thing and he treats me and everybody else here with love and respect. It's not very fun that my feelings and emotions are somehow invalid, but I guess I have no choice. Ohhh well.

No, I get where it actually comes into play as far as box office. I was just venting about the general culture nowadays of putting people into boxes based on their skin colour and acting like we're not all just people, unique people individually that routinely deviate from those labels.

But I see your point.

Edited by Insomnia

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Eric the Minion said:

Barring any potential bad legs, DM4 opening so well really does have me questioning why Despicable Me 3 underperformed the way it did domestically (Yes, I know it still did fine). Cars 3 and Emoji were barely threats, especially compared to Inside Out 2 alone, and it's not like these movies get hurt by bad reviews at all. I guess Wonder Woman and Homecoming siphoned off some of the family audience, but I'm not sure if that's the main reason. It's just kind of a weird blip compared to every other movie before and after it.

I actually think DM3's gross was pretty normal and what we have here is sort of a bump for the brand, courtesy of Minions 2. People had a lot of good old fashioned fun with that movie at a time when theatres were back but not all the way back in terms of the general public. There was something about that weekend that felt really special. You could say that about any other big weekend post covid but that was the most unexpected BIG weekend in quite some time.

Edited by Insomnia

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do think the beefcake factor is being underestimated w Gladiator for GBT viewers. I can see Wickiator becoming a legit thing.

The problem with Wickiator or Gladicked or whatever people call it is that it feels forced and inauthentic. I’ve already seen plenty of people reject it. When the trades and pundits were already pushing it mere hours after Wicked moved, and even as they reported that it moved, it came across as sad and desperate. (Was Barbenheimer really organic? Probably not entirely, but people felt like it was).

For me, when Jon M. Chu embraced it, it felt like when Hilary Clinton brought the whole “Margot Robbie was robbed at the Oscars” discourse to a screeching halt when she weighed in.

Plus there’s the very real possibility that Wicked is no Barbie and Gladiator II is no Oppenheimer.

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Outside of DM4, nothing else really impressed me. IO2 hold was basically my worst case scenario and BBRD is still likely to miss 200m. Meanwhile, MaXXXine and Sound of hope got insanely frontloaded. Bikeriders collapse again and the expansion isn’t kind to kind of kindness .

Yeah that's exactly how I was feeling about this weekend. Everything outside of DM4, except Bad Boys, was a little less than I anticipated. Figured IO2 would be closer to 35, AQP closer to 30 and MaXXXine over 10.

Next weekend could make up for it though and be bigger than anticipated. When I was looking ahead to summer I saw the July 12 weekend as a dead frame but Fly Me to the Moon looks like it could surprise.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's very important to talk about race and demographics considering they are the defining story of moviegoing in the post-COVID world, I just don't think Gladiator is as old and white as some people are making it out to be. It's more akin to something like the Matrix in terms of generation and demographic, which I know doesn't sound flattering given how the last Matrix performed, but the point is it isn't the American Sniper/Top Gun/Sound of Freedom crowd that has made this movie legendary.

Again, I get that 100%. I guess any race discussion in general is just getting really exhausting for me. Maybe I'm the only one lol.

Anyway, moving on.

Edited by Insomnia

8 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The problem with Wickiator or Gladicked or whatever people call it is that it feels forced and inauthentic. I’ve already seen plenty of people reject it. When the trades and pundits were already pushing it mere hours after Wicked moved, and even as they reported that it moved, it came across as sad and desperate. (Was Barbenheimer really organic? Probably not entirely, but people felt like it was).

For me, when Jon M. Chu embraced it, it felt like when Hilary Clinton brought the whole “Margot Robbie was robbed at the Oscars” discourse to a screeching halt when she weighed in.

Plus there’s the very real possibility that Wicked is no Barbie and Gladiator II is no Oppenheimer.

You clearly have it out for the film so I don't expect to convince you of anything positive the movie has going for it, but I don't think many people are gonna remember Jon Chu's excited reposting of memes in four months. I'm personally assuming the optimal outcome that they do both deliver, and in that case I would anticipate people embracing it, however "inorganic" it might be.

• Like 1

Beverly Hills Cop 4 came out on Netflix this weekend. Should it have gotten a theatrical release? Not necessarily on this weekend. The original BHC was actually a bigger hit than the original Top Gun but unlike that movie, already had sequels.

MV5BMDVhYWNkNTUtZWVjMC00Y2M1LWEzNmItZjFi

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

You clearly have it out for the film so I don't expect to convince you of anything positive the movie has going for it, but I don't think many people are gonna remember Jon Chu's excited reposting of memes in four months. I'm personally assuming the optimal outcome that they do both deliver, and in that case I would anticipate people embracing it, however "inorganic" it might be.

Saying “Wickiator” feels forced, which other people here said too when the discourse started, doesn’t mean I have it out for this film (I’m actually looking forward to Wicked and Gladiator if it manages to beat the odds). People not being 100% optimistic about every single film or little thing about the box office is fine and normal, even if it hurts your feelings.

13 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Yeah that's exactly how I was feeling about this weekend. Everything outside of DM4, except Bad Boys, was a little less than I anticipated. Figured IO2 would be closer to 35, AQP closer to 30 and MaXXXine over 10.

Next weekend could make up for it though and be bigger than anticipated. When I was looking ahead to summer I saw the July 12 weekend as a dead frame but Fly Me to the Moon looks like it could surprise.

I don’t think anything was pointing to a 30m 2nd weekend for A Quiet Place tbh. Even that highest prediction I saw was in the mid 20s range.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Saying “Wickiator” feels forced, which other people here said too when the discourse started, doesn’t mean I have it out for this film (I’m actually looking forward to Wicked and Gladiator if it manages to beat the odds). People not being 100% optimistic about every single film or little thing about the box office is fine and normal, even if it hurts your feelings.

The only real point I was trying to make was that gladiator's audiences wasn't necessarily limited to old white people. I don't know if there will be a consensus meme label for it, just that they could both still benefit from double feature viewings if reviews are there.