Rorschach

Y10 Oscar Picks Thread (Tentative Date for Ballots: Monday, 10/21 @ 11:59 PM)

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952cb3g2n2bom6vhc25ch

With the actuals underway, I’ve decided to go ahead and officially open the Oscar Picks Thread. Normally, we’d wait until after the actuals are done, but at the game’s current pace, I believe it necessary to get a jump-start on this as soon as possible. 

For users old and new, it’s time to nominate films for the Y10 Academy Awards! The process is simple - select five films for each competitive category (*except for any asterisked category, which will be limited to three nominations) and send your completed ballot to me via private message. For easy tabulating on my part, please list the nominee submissions in alphabetical order. And for the acting categories, please list the actors/actresses in alphabetical order by last name.

Example #1:

Best Picture

American Spy

Matilda and the Night Children

The Mirage

The Queen Who Never Was

Warmth

Example #2:

Best Actress

Annalise Basso - Acne

Zoey Deuth - Bikini

Lily James - The Crummy Shindig

Jurnee Smollett - American Spy

Samara Weaving - The Queen Who Never Was

If you are struggling to think of films to vote for, please refer to the Y10 FYC thread, although these submissions are merely guidelines. Regarding performances, place any actor/actress in the category you deem most appropriate, though the authors’ preferred placements are highly recommended.

Here are the awards categories that will be presented at this year’s ceremony:

Best Picture

Best Animated Feature

Best Documentary Feature*

Best Director

Best Ensemble

Best Actor

Best Actress

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress

Best Voice Actor/Actress in a Leading Role

Best Voice Actor/Actress in a Supporting Role

Best Original Screenplay

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Original Score

Best Original Song

Best Cinematography

Best Film Editing

Best Production Design

Best Costumes

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Best Sound Mixing

Best Sound Editing

Best Visual Effects

Best Use of Action

*Due to limited competition, the Documentary Feature category will be limited to three nominees this year

At this time, there is no due date for ballots, though with the posting of this thread, I will now officially accept any early ones sent my way. Once the actuals are completed, I will set a hard due date for the ballots, so please stay tuned for that announcement. After the passing of said due date, I will calculate the results and run tiebreakers if needed. 

With all that said, have fun voting, and let’s have a grand ‘ol time honoring the great films from the landmark 10th year of this wonderful game!

michael-keaton-keaton.gif

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

Seeing as the actuals are going a little slower than anticipated, I'm going to set a tentative deadline for nominee ballots for Monday, October 21st @ 11:59 PM CST. I figure two weeks should be enough time for everyone to get their score descriptions done before sending in ballots. If people need a bit more time, I will push it back to a hard deadline of the 28th.

Ideally, I'd like to try to announce nominations before Election Week, since I know most everyone will be mentally preoccupied with that (I know I will be). On a similar note, I also wanna try to host the Oscars ceremony sometime in mid-November to get that done and over with before the Holidays roll in. Knowing how crazy my job can get during that particular time of the year, it would be nice to have one less thing to stress about on my off-time.

Hope that works for all of y'all :)

• Like 3

Since I've already received ballots from @YM! / @MCKillswitch123, and @cookie / @Reddroast confirmed they will get them to me sometime this week, I will probably announce tiebreakers and nominations a little earlier than the current deadline. Most likely, they will all be announced towards the end of the week (exact days TBD).

@Hiccup23 @El Squibbonator @tyson67roberts I know you guys didn't end up participating in reviews this game year (in Tyson's case, only half of the year), which is perfectly alright, but I was curious if you three were interested in voting for the winners at the Oscars ceremony. This is, of course, entirely optional, but I figured I'd ask since I'd like everyone to feel included in the process here. My only stipulation is that you'd need to read all of the nominated films at the ceremony for your votes to be officially counted. The good news is the ceremony won't be until mid-November anyway so y'all will have at least a month to read everything. Please let me know if that's something any of you would be interested in.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 3