True Grit (2010)

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade True Grit (2010)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The most overrated movie of 2010. I was really looking forward to this but damn I was bored to tears watching it. 3:10 to Yuma is far better. And Jeff Bridges acting in this is considered astonishing to some, for me, I could barely make out a word he was saying.

D

Never gave this a try because it was a western and I wasn't into westerns. I recently watched The Magnificent Seven and I enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give this movie a try. What a fantastic movie. I was hooked throughout and the time just flew by. I didn't even realize how attached I got to these characters together until it was mentioned that after she reached safety and lost her hand they never saw each other again and I just started crying my eyes out from that point on wards. 

• Like 1

True Grit is a rollicking good western with quite a bit of depth. The Coens' script mixes their clever plotting in with some wacky humor, unforgettable characters, and dramatically tense moments. Their direction emulates a western nearly perfectly, along with Burwell's delightful score. Deakins' cinematography is restrained but beautiful, and the cast is excellent. Bridges is spectacular as Cogburn and Damon is obnoxious in the best sense. However, it's Steinfeld who really deserves the most praise, as she steals the movie while being the lead of it too, a rare feat. She is a true marvel in this, being an anchor of all the themes about youth and idealizing the past the film plays with. True Grit has been praised by many others, and I'm adding my voice to the crowd; it is a remarkable western and a really great film. A

• Like 1