baumer

Pitch Perfect

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Pitch Perfect is competently directed and has a fine cast of actors, but its brought down by a really bad script. The movie is predictable, tedious, unfunny and way too long (the whole thing could have been wrapped in 90 minutes). 

Okay, here's the good stuff: as I mentioned the actors are indeed good. There aren't really any weak links except maybe Rebel Wilson, but more on that later. I enjoyed Anna Kendrick as our main character, and she once again proves that she's one of the best young actresses around. Kendrick shows her leading lady chops in Pitch Perfect, and I'd really like to see her get more leading roles. My other favorite was Adam DeVine as the OTT leader of the antagonist choir. That guy has great comedic timing and hilarious expressions, and he got the only laughs out of me. Too bad his character had such limited screen time. 

The bad stuff: the script is awful. The biggest manifestation of this is the character of Fat Amy, played by the usually hilarious Rebel Wilson. I dont mind fat people making jokes about their weight once in a while, but her whole character is based on doing that. After the 125th fat joke I wanted to scream "Yes! We get it, she's fucking fat, get over it!" 

There wasn't a plot point I didn't see coming, its the most basic regurgitated Hollywood underdog story seen in a million other films done better. Now, I could have put that aside if the jokes were funny, but they werent! I'd say about 70% of the comedy falls flat. 

I dont know man, I'm probably gonna get shit for this too but i dont think this is a very good movie at all. Its just lame, kinda like how I predicted it would be.

2/5

Pitch Perfect is competently directed and has a fine cast of actors, but its brought down by a really bad script. The movie is predictable, tedious, unfunny and way too long (the whole thing could have been wrapped in 90 minutes). Okay, here's the good stuff: as I mentioned the actors are indeed good. There aren't really any weak links except maybe Rebel Wilson, but more on that later. I enjoyed Anna Kendrick as our main character, and she once again proves that she's one of the best young actresses around. Kendrick shows her leading lady chops in Pitch Perfect, and I'd really like to see her get more leading roles. My other favorite was Adam DeVine as the OTT leader of the antagonist choir. That guy has great comedic timing and hilarious expressions, and he got the only laughs out of me. Too bad his character had such limited screen time. The bad stuff: the script is awful. The biggest manifestation of this is the character of Fat Amy, played by the usually hilarious Rebel Wilson. I dont mind fat people making jokes about their weight once in a while, but her whole character is based on doing that. After the 125th fat joke I wanted to scream "Yes! We get it, she's fucking fat, get over it!" There wasn't a plot point I didn't see coming, its the most basic regurgitated Hollywood underdog story seen in a million other films done better. Now, I could have put that aside if the jokes were funny, but they werent! I'd say about 70% of the comedy falls flat. I dont know man, I'm probably gonna get shit for this too but i dont think this is a very good movie at all. Its just lame, kinda like how I predicted it would be. 2/5

I think we saw two different movies
  • Like 1

Yeah, it really seems like that. You gave this like 9,5/10 didn't you? But hey, at least I praised Anna Kendrick! Be please about that

Yeah I think that's all we agreed with. If you didn't find it funny I can understand that but I just have to say something about your complaint about it being predictable. Aren't all movies like this predictable?

Yeah I think that's all we agreed with. If you didn't find it funny I can understand that but I just have to say something about your complaint about it being predictable. Aren't all movies like this predictable?

Yes, but it still bothered me. They could have come up with something more clever