A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I think the banhammer after a couple of minutes and blu-ray quality copies online when they tried again contributed more to its failure than because it was a Western.

It was a Wetern, so it bombed.  Many other movies released after bluray came out did much better than DU. Upside Down, for example, even as a buyout movie, did more than $10M.

It was a Wetern, so it bombed.  Many other movies released after bluray came out did much better than DU. Upside Down, for example, even as a buyout movie, did more than $10M.

But the banhammer acted as free publicity for bootlegs--tons of people hopped online to watch ripped copies after the Chinese release was pulled. Most of those people wouldn't have seen the movie in theaters anyway, but the ones who would've gone had no reason to show up for the eventual re-release (which was so minimally promoted that my usual theater had no posters for it, because they'd already thrown out the originals and the distributor didn't provide new ones). There's little doubt in my mind DU could've done at least $10m if it had been released when it was supposed to be, which would still be poor for a Hollywood import but respectable for a 165-minute hard-R period film. There's no inherent reason it should've done worse than, say, The Grey or Conan the Barbarian.

Edited by Bob Violence

It has been a long long time for an animation movie winning a single day in China. 

What was the last one? IA4? I thought The Croods might've won Children's Day, but nope, it was STID...

Yeah, the last time an animated movie at #1 daily was IA4 on Aug 7, 2012 I believe.

Edited by firedeep

So what happened to PR ? Last Friday it was at 15M with 18% show count, now this Friday only 2.5M with 4.4% ? That is some hugely 83% drop.  Called collapse it is. Even the PSA dropped by like one third. Obviously JP stole its audience. This is what powerful new openers do to holdovers, especially with similar target skews, even if the holdovers was totally dominating just the week before.