A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

its weird to see folks from china supporting hollywood flicks over local films. Even ones which have good WOM

Why not? I'm French and I think Hollywood movies are much better than French movies, and about 50% of the population thinks it.

Local movies and Hollywood movies are different in each country, different audiences, different tastes, it's pretty normal.

The Deadline piece is pure spin. Disney is trying to put a brave face on it because they sunk so much effort into this pseudo-co-production deal--which didn't play well overseas, where it was widely interpreted as Disney kowtowing to "Chinese censors" (cf. this largely inaccurate Daily Mail hit piece). And for all that effort they won't even make as much off it as they did on The Avengers last year. So they feed some bullshit to Nikki and Co. ("Oh, it's great, we got everything we wanted") and they swallow it hook, line and sinker. Look forward to more of this when the movie actually opens, just like how foreign media outlets dutifully reported on Skyfall's "record" opening in China.

And to elaborate more on why the The Avengers was a completely different situation: the only competition TA had to deal with was Design of Death (which opened on April 27th) and Guns and Roses (which opened all the way back on April 23rd). Design of Death barely made $3m and finished outside the annual top 100; Guns and Roses ended up with a bit over $24m and was #31 for the year. (Mea culpa: in my comment on Deadline I described Design of Death as a "mildly successful local film." I was actually thinking of Guns and Roses.) So Young will outgross both of them put together in a few days, if not less, and will probably land a top ten spot. And that probably would've happened even if it opened on the same day as IM3. Obviously a very different kind of competition.

this.

Some theaters already have received copies for IM3 and the runtime (of course it is the Chinese version) is 133 mins. However the real opening date is still unsure.

Is there a chance it will be earlier? 

So the date reported May 3rd is not confirmed in China?

Is there a chance it will be earlier? 

So the date reported May 3rd is not confirmed in China?

Not confirmed. Here's an article from Mtime, who have been insisting on a late April release all along:

"According to several reports in the foreign media, the Robert Downey Jr. superhero blockbuster Iron Man 3 will be released in mainland China on May 3rd, but this morning staff at mainland partner DMG said the film 'will be released at the end of April.' A specific schedule has not been announced."

• Like 2

All copies should be already at the cinemas within two days. However point is that these copies can not be projected without the keys from CFG. And CFG won't release the keys without the release notification from the Film Bureau.

It is said the specific opening date will be settled in two days. It just keeps getting delayed.

All copies should be already at the cinemas within two days. However point is that these copies can not be projected without the keys from CFG. And CFG won't release the keys without the release notification from the Film Bureau.

It is said the specific opening date will be settled in two days. It just keeps getting delayed.

Ugh.

The 28th would be pretty good. The 29th isn't terrible but it would lose people going to the movies after work on Sunday.

Through knowing all this release dates complications, it kinda amazed me that a few days difference can have such big impact on a movie's potential box office in China  :o

Through knowing all this release dates complications, it kinda amazed me that a few days difference can have such big impact on a movie's potential box office in China  :o

Holidays like Labor/May Day holiday can generate overall box office as much as tripling a normal working day.

Holidays like Labor/May Day holiday can generate overall box office as much as tripling a normal working day.

Wow, that's insane. Is it because you guys don't get much national holidays over there, so the effect is enlarged further?  But May Day is one of the biggest holidays WW bar US so yeah, I can see how that factors in.

Wow, that's insane. Is it because you guys don't get much national holidays over there, so the effect is enlarged further?  But May Day is one of the biggest holidays WW bar US so yeah, I can see how that factors in.

We had 27 days of official national holidays in 2012.

Important box office sessions in China include the New Year holiday (around Jan 1, 3 days), Chinese New Year holiday (somewhere in Feb, 7 days), QingMing holiday (around Apr 5, 3 days), Labor/May Day holiday (around May 1, 3 days), Dragon Boat Festival (somewhere in June, 3 days), Mid-autumn festival (somewhere in late Sep / Early Oct, 3 days), National Day Holiday (around Oct 1, 7 days).

Other biggest box office days include Valentine's Day (2.14, this is usually the biggest box office day of the year), Women's Day (3.8), Children's Day (6.1), Tanabata Day (somewhere in Aug), Singles' Day (11.11), Christmas Day, etc.

Poorest box office day usually falls on New Year's Eve (the day before the Chinese New Year holiday) with most cinemas closed or a national mourning day with all entertainment activities cancelled when a big tragedy happened.

• Like 2