baumer

The American President

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Aaron Sorkin and Rob Reiner teamed up for the 2nd time and man, do I love love love this movie. No one can write dialogue like Sorkin and this is just full of all those great lines that you only wish you could think of that quickly. Awesome supporting work from Martin Sheen and Michael Douglass's press conference speech near the end is some great writing and perfectly delivered.

• Like 1

My name is Andrew Shepherd and I AM the president of the United States!Is there a genre that Rob Reiner can't work in and make successful? He captured comedy beautifully with The Sure Thing. Music was brilliant with This is Spinal Tap. Horror? How about Misery? Courtroom drama was awesome with A Few Good Men. And now we have a political drama/comedy. There is nothing this man can't do.This movie works inspite of people's claims that it is too political. Well you know what, it's about the president of the United States of America, there's going to be a bit of poiltics in it. And guess what, guns do kill people, so to have an issue at hand here that deals with gun control is applaudable.Okay, that's out of the way, let's talk about the film itself. Because it is wonderful. It is funny, well acted, and it is written with a good ear.The cast in this film is one to be envied by almost everyone except Oliver Stone and Robert Altman who seem to get everyone to do their films. But here we have Douglas as the president, Sheen as his aid, Michael J. Fox, Samantha Mathis, Annette Bening as Sydney Ellen Wade and in my favourite performance, Richard Dreyfuss as the sniveling weasle Senator Bob Rumsen.As the story goes, the president's character gets questioned when he ( a widow ) finds a girlfriend in Sydney Wade. The issues are handled wonderfully here. Nothing is really tip-toed around as the script writer ( Aaron Sorkin ) writes a brave script about what is right and wrong with being the president and having a girlfriend.I personally liked the politics in the film. I enjoyed how Shepherd decides to ignore the critisism leveled at him until the very end when he gives one of the best written speeches I've ever seen in film. And when he flexes his authoritative muscles, you feel his power, you feel that the president has spoken. And I was moved. This is a great film and one that should be checked out for sure.**** I also found it to be interesting that the character in the film that tries to get the issue of gun control brought to the forefront is Michael J. Fox. He is Canadian and we don't have problems with guns here. Is it a coincidence ( probably ) that he was chosen to play this role? Or was it done deliberately? Interesting.9/10

Edited by baumer

I rather enjoyed this movie. I liked the concept and all the actors/actresses were great.

yes it does dive into politics, but not always about which side anyone is on, just the idea of what goes on behind the scenes of the government which I liked.

As for if and when it decides to take a political position on something, I can ignore it if I don't like it since it is just a movie and it isn't beating you over the head with any kind of message. Basically the only side taken is one that the president should take due to his party. Not a big deal to me.

B+