BCN

TAQUILLA | Spain Boxoffice

10 hours ago, MG10 said:

Many thanks, that's even better!

Spain and Italy look quite similar even looking at their all-time grossing list, but I wonder if Spain has had the same problem of not having a box office institute covering all the theaters for a few years (for Italy from 1994 to 2001), because Titanic "only" fourth and the original Lion King only 55th seems a bit strange

Understanding what you mean, DOM Titanic ranks #7 and The Lion King #29. I do not see the problem. Titanic remains to be the most attended film ever, and The Lion King ranks #15 among the most attended. Maybe a few tickets were missed in the past, but data seem quite accurate and fit with the behaviour from other markets "more advanced".

11 hours ago, MG10 said:

Many thanks, that's even better!

Spain and Italy look quite similar even looking at their all-time grossing list, but I wonder if Spain has had the same problem of not having a box office institute covering all the theaters for a few years (for Italy from 1994 to 2001), because Titanic "only" fourth and the original Lion King only 55th seems a bit strange

Titanic is the Highest grossing  in Spain back in 1997 and TLK is the Highest grossing film in Spain back in 1994,they all break Spain all time box office record

Today's ranking can't indicate anything,it's just because the market today far bigger than before, you need to see How high they were at their peak.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Titanic is the Highest grossing  in Spain back in 1997 and TLK is the Highest grossing film in Spain back in 1994,they all break Spain all time box office record

Today's ranking can't indicate anything,it's just because the market today far bigger than before, you need to see How high they were at their peak.

This.

To put into perspective, and if my data are accurate, this is the evolution of the top grosser holder in Spain:

1982: E.T (€11.6m - Today at €13.4m because of 20th anniversary re-release)

1992: Beauty & the beast (€14.7m)

1993: Jurassic Park (€17.7m)

1994: The Lion King (€19m - Today at €20.4m because 2012 3D re-release)

1998: Titanic (€38m - Today at €41m because of 2012 3D re-release)

2009: Avatar (€74m - Today at €77m because of 2010 Special edition)

Avatar will be maybe beaten by 2100

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, peludo said:

This.

To put into perspective, and if my data are accurate, this is the evolution of the top grosser holder in Spain:

1982: E.T (€11.6m - Today at €13.4m because of 20th anniversary re-release)

1992: Beauty & the beast (€14.7m)

1993: Jurassic Park (€17.7m)

1994: The Lion King (€19m - Today at €20.4m because 2012 3D re-release)

1998: Titanic (€38m - Today at €41m because of 2012 3D re-release)

2009: Avatar (€74m - Today at €77m because of 2010 Special edition)

Avatar will be maybe beaten by 2100

Peseta era

Doctor Zhivago--203,644,131 

The Godfather--208,305,684

The Towering info--248,929,487

Jaws---393,341,277 

Star War:The New Hope--511,658,934 

Superman--694,922,426

E.T--1,810,278,534

Basic Instinct--2,161,545,092

Jurassic Park--2,894,846,638

The Lion King--3,087,503,860 

Euro era

Titanic--€ 38,060,647

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Biggest franchise in Spain(in term of admissions)

1.James Bond--48,553,710

2.Tarzan--48,471,997

3.Star Wars--41,152,481

4.MCU--37,548,093

5.Harry Potter--32,893,578

6.Middle Earth--28,889,569

7.Zorro--22,120,785

8.Spider-man--21,788,531

9.Pirates of the Caribbean--19,426,345

10.Jurassic seris--19,032,019

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Biggest franchise in Spain(in term of Box office)

1.MCU € 228,124,530

2.Harry Potter € 173,452,176

3.Star Wars € 172,489,357

4.Middle Earth € 150,271,264

5.Pirates of the Caribbean € 105,500,751

6.Spider-Man € 105,500,751

7.Sherk € 96,117,042

8.Twilight Saga € 93,765,535

9.Ocho apellidos vascos € 90,861,462

10.XCU € 87,204,174

PS:SPIDER-MAN series not count NWH

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Biggest franchise in Spain(in term of Box office)

1.MCU € 228,124,530

2.Harry Potter € 173,452,176

3.Star Wars € 172,489,357

4.Middle Earth € 150,271,264

5.Pirates of the Caribbean € 105,500,751

6.Spider-Man € 105,500,751

7.Sherk € 96,117,042

8.Twilight Saga € 93,765,535

9.Ocho apellidos vascos € 90,861,462

10.XCU € 87,204,174

PS:SPIDER-MAN series not count NWH

Ocho apellidos is the saga with the best average per film. MCU averages €8.77m per film. Ocho apellidos, €45.5m

44 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Peseta era

Doctor Zhivago--203,644,131 

The Godfather--208,305,684

The Towering info--248,929,487

Jaws---393,341,277 

Star War:The New Hope--511,658,934 

Superman--694,922,426

E.T--1,810,278,534

Basic Instinct--2,161,545,092

Jurassic Park--2,894,846,638

The Lion King--3,087,503,860 

Euro era

Titanic--€ 38,060,647

Translating pesetas figures to euro:

Doctor Zhivago: €1,223,926

The Godfather: €1,251,942

The Towering Inferno: €1,496,096

Jaws: €2,364,029

Star Wars: €3,075,132

Superman: €4,176,568

E.T: €10,879,993

Basic Instinct: €12,991,148

Jurassic Park: €17,398,379

The Lion King: €18,556,272

• Like 2

I check Spain old time box office I found the first Superman series is incredible popular in Spain,All 3 Superman film break top 10 of all time in Spain at that time,the only market I found Superman doing this.

SW is popular in Spain,but Return of Jedi and Empire strikes back drop a huge level frist The New Hope.

Indiana Jones is crazy popular in Spain,the first one "Raiders of the lost ark" is the top 2 highest grossing film of all-time,all three indiana jones film cross in Top 10 of all time list in Spain.

Also there is a weird thing that Spain not much like James Bond series like other Europea countries,Bond is only popular in Spain during Sean Connery era(but in Sean Coneery era Bond is biggest franchise and popular in all countries in the world),after that,Bond is not a big event in Spain,little strange.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I check Spain old time box office I found the first Superman series is incredible popular in Spain,All 3 Superman film break top 10 of all time in Spain at that time,the only market I found Superman doing this.

SW is popular in Spain,but Return of Jedi and Empire strikes back drop a huge level frist The New Hope.

Indiana Jones is crazy popular in Spain,the first one "Raiders of the lost ark" is the top 2 highest grossing film of all-time,all three indiana jones film cross in Top 10 of all time list in Spain.

Also there is a weird thing that Spain not much like James Bond series like other Europea countries,Bond is only popular in Spain during Sean Connery era(but in Sean Coneery era Bond is biggest franchise and popular in all countries in the world),after that,Bond is not a big event in Spain,little strange.

Yes, Superman is still the most attended SH film ever.

Concerning SW, you are right that ESB and ROTJ dropped a lot relative to ANH, but that happened in many countries too. TPM and TFA behaviour was similar to other Western countries, with 6 and 5 million admissions, respectively.

Indy is really popular, but a step behind SW. The films sold between 3 and 4 million admissions.

And yes, Bond is not as popular here as other European countries, mostly the northern ones. But to say that Connery Bond was the biggest franchise when Connery starred is a bit strange... how many active franchises there were during 60s? I love Connery's Bond but it had no competition in that sense ;)

On the other hand, the most popular franchise remains to be the Middle Earth saga, with LOTR trilogy among the all time top 11 both unadjusted and admissions (TTT ranks #11 in both rankings).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

Yeah Bond isn't that big in Italy neither, if I'm not mistaken even Netherlands and Sweden are often bigger markets than the two southern countries

4 hours ago, Bruce said:

Yeah my mistake was probably to rely too much on the comparison with Italy, where Titanic is first and the first Lion King in the top 30 (I was referring to the gross more than the admissions). But I forgot that Spain has actually continued to grow while the other is stable, if not in a sad decline  : (

20 minutes ago, MG10 said:

Yeah my mistake was probably to rely too much on the comparison with Italy, where Titanic is first and the first Lion King in the top 30 (I was referring to the gross more than the admissions). But I forgot that Spain has actually continued to grow while the other is stable, if not in a sad decline  : (

At the end the gross is a way to measure a success in a certain moment, but to compare today grosses with 25-30 years ago's is not very useful if ticket price has nearly doubled in that period. For example, NWH is probably reaching here the top 20 in all time grosses, but it will probably rank between #70 and #80 among most attended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MG10 said:

Yeah Bond isn't that big in Italy neither, if I'm not mistaken even Netherlands and Sweden are often bigger markets than the two southern countries

Bond is super big in Italy in 60s,Golfinger shatters over 15m admissions and Thunderball have also carzy numbers wtih 14m admissions

Acutally Bond is SUPER BIG everywhere in Connery era,even in Asia countries Bond break many box office record,it's not big today but it's really big in 60s

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peludo said:

Yes, Superman is still the most attended SH film ever.

Concerning SW, you are right that ESB and ROTJ dropped a lot relative to ANH, but that happened in many countries too. TPM and TFA behaviour was similar to other Western countries, with 6 and 5 million admissions, respectively.

Indy is really popular, but a step behind SW. The films sold between 3 and 4 million admissions.

And yes, Bond is not as popular here as other European countries, mostly the northern ones. But to say that Connery Bond was the biggest franchise when Connery starred is a bit strange... how many active franchises there were during 60s? I love Connery's Bond but it had no competition in that sense ;)

On the other hand, the most popular franchise remains to be the Middle Earth saga, with LOTR trilogy among the all time top 11 both unadjusted and admissions (TTT ranks #11 in both rankings).

I said Connery's Bond is biggest franchise because when I check many countries 60s yealy rank,Connery's Bond is the only Bond which boomed everywhere,not only popular in Europea,but everywhere,in many markets Bond today not doing really well(like Asia),for example,From Russia with love break all-time box office record in HongKong,Singapore,South korea,Philippines,Brazil...etc,most of them are Asia and Latin America countries,but today's Bond is not big in Asia.Connery's Bond is something special.He is the reason why Bond 's name is famous worldwide,today's many countries,James Bond is not a popular franchise with young people,like Spain,China...But if you ask them:Do you know James Bond or 007?They will say:Of course I've heard of it,and that's mainly because of Sean Connery,by popularity Bond is kind of Marvel movie of 60s

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I said Connery's Bond is biggest franchise because when I check many countries 60s yealy rank,Connery's Bond is the only Bond which boomed everywhere,not only popular in Europea,but everywhere,in many markets Bond today not doing really well(like Asia),for example,From Russia with love break all-time box office record in HongKong,Singapore,South korea,Philippines,Brazil...etc,most of them are Asia and Latin America countries,but today's Bond is not big in Asia.Connery's Bond is something special.He is the reason why Bond 's name is famous worldwide,today's many countries,James Bond is not a popular franchise with young people,like Spain,China...But if you ask them:Do you know James Bond or 007?They will say:Of course I've heard of it,and that's mainly because of Sean Connery,by popularity Bond is kind of Marvel movie of 60s

Fair enough ;)

1 hour ago, MG10 said:

Titanic is top 4 of all time in Italy,Avatar was biggest film in Italy,Titanic 70m number is some exchange error