baumer

Bullet to the Head

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's a better film than The Last Stand, but it's still pretty generic. What really makes this film worth seeing, even if just once, is Jason Mamoa. I didn't realize the screen presence this guy has. I really didn't like Conan all that much and maybe because he was surrounded with other giant human beings I never really got to see how much of a physical specimen he is. But put him next to Stallone, who is 5'10, he not only towers over him, but he just looks and feels like a physically superior specimen. But even more than that, his screen presense in here was incredible. When he was on screen the film was better. His character isn't just the muscle, he has an interesting story arc to him. Much more interesting that Stallone's, which brings the film down from what could have been a really good action film to just a decent but forgettable one.Some of the problem is that Jimmy Bobo isn't really a likable character. He's very shady and his background is shrouded in mystery. He's a hired hitman who does jobs just for the money and really doesn't care who he kills. He kills a cop at the beginning, without knowing he is one, but nonetheless, he still offed him. He also has a very shady background. But the people he is going after in the film are very very bad of course, so that means we are supposed to like him. I wasn't really sold on him in the film as a good guy or a bad guy.Walter Hill is in top form here. He is a veteran of the action film and of the buddy action film. His credits include some of my favourites like 48 Hours, Extreme Prejudice and he even produced the Aliens series. His action scenes are very well done and the final "Viking" fight between Sly and Momoa is thrilling and exhilirating. It's good to see his style in this film.Overall I liked it but I didn't love it. I think Stallone can still be relevant in films but the solo action here is basically dead. I'm really looking forward to The Tomb and I hope him and DeNiro get their boxing movie made because that would be priceless. Bullet to the Head is fine, just nothing memorable.7/10

• Like 1

Yeah I am with baumer, it was ok, but nothing special.  There was just something missing, it just seemed too generic for me as well.

I would give it like a B-/C+ which it could have been much worse, but there were enough moments to keep it fun enough.

• Like 1

This is not a particularly good movie, but its definitely better than The Last Stand. Well, that's not saying much since The Last Stand was a giant piece of crap, but I actually enjoyed this one more than I would have expected. As a saturday night rental Bullet to the Head gets the job done.

• Like 1