the frst time to get numbers for it

Brave

DOM 3D share 34%

OS 3D share 73%

we live in a different world

NO.

It s because you have the choice in the US between 2d and 3d.

Because, let s face it, America is so open to other countries' movies that when Brave opens in a multiplex, it has how many theaters : 4 ,5, 9 ?

Edited by The Futurist

I helped contribute to that number yesterday. :) I thought the movie was good but it could have been so much better if only Pixar had more time to work on it. I didn't like the whole Mystical/witchy stuff.

YOU'RE SUCH A HATER

Off topic here, but I had no clue that Lorax has made its way to almost 213 million domestic haul. Extremely surprised with that. Can Madagascar 3 beat Lorax?

I think it has a chance.

Off topic here, but I had no clue that Lorax has made its way to almost 213 million domestic haul. Extremely surprised with that. Can Madagascar 3 beat Lorax?

Whoa seriously? Didn't realize that either. I mean it's not a great multiplier so it's nothing to crow about after that OW, but that's still surprising to see that number.

I was kidding if I wasn't obvious. I did forget the winky smiley and I'm in a bit of a loonie rage this summer after the RT score so I know that could be taken as a serious reply.

You and me both. I mean, with Cars you can kind of understand why people didn't like it because the universe is fundamentally ill-conceived, but for me Brave had all the hallmarks of a good Pixar movie and the more I think about it I only realize more of its brilliance.

You and me both. I mean, with Cars you can kind of understand why people didn't like it because the universe is fundamentally ill-conceived, but for me Brave had all the hallmarks of a good Pixar movie and the more I think about it I only realize more of its brilliance.

I think I would have been content with 80+. I can see how some folks might not buy the twist or leave them jarred if they were expecting something else, but I don't think the movie ever loses its heart, which is why I would hope people would come back after the twist and still buy into it... To me, just this part proves that it's not exactly the safe movie many critics said it was.

iEye - I thought too after reading the reviews that it sounded like more time would have made the movie so much better, but after seeing it I realize that as long as that twist is in there, there is not much more they could have done for the viewers who chose not to buy into it. Maybe after more time they'd think, "well, many folks might not buy into the twist so let's take it out;" but then at that point it'd be a different movie. I'm assuming the twist was part of Brenda Chapman's main vision, so I'd rather they keep it in and take that risk.

Whoa seriously? Didn't realize that either. I mean it's not a great multiplier so it's nothing to crow about after that OW, but that's still surprising to see that number.

Isn't it currently the biggest animated release since Despicable Me?

I think I would have been content with 80+. I can see how some folks might not buy the twist or leave them jarred if they were expecting something else, but I don't think the movie ever loses its heart, which is why I would hope people would come back after the twist and still buy into it... To me, just this part proves that it's not exactly the safe movie many critics said it was.

iEye - I thought too after reading the reviews that it sounded like more time would have made the movie so much better, but after seeing it I realize that as long as that twist is in there, there is not much more they could have done for the viewers who chose not to buy into it. Maybe after more time they'd think, "well, many folks might not buy into the twist so let's take it out;" but then at that point it'd be a different movie. I'm assuming the twist was part of Brenda Chapman's main vision, so I'd rather they keep it in and take that risk.

What twist?

Isn't it currently the biggest animated release since Despicable Me?

Yep. Impressive total, but considering the opening and extreme lack of competition, it should have closed out much stronger IMO. Had it opened to 50 or 60m, that total would be great. But it had one of the best openings ever for an animated flick and had a weaker mulitplier as far as family fare goes with pretty much zero competition.

Yep. Impressive total, but considering the opening and extreme lack of competition, it should have closed out much stronger IMO. Had it opened to 50 or 60m, that total would be great. But it had one of the best openings ever for an animated flick and had a weaker mulitplier as far as family fare goes with pretty much zero competition.

Some of you guys over-analyze this stuff <_<

Illumination is batting 1000 right now with its fully animated films. Only other company to start that strong? (hint: Pixar).

I had a problem with the twist but maybe I think I could handle it more if there was a better explanation (backstory) on why bears. I think I would have preferred that mother/daughter would have seen each others point through some other life experience. Perhaps, that could have happened if Merida had run away and in search for one another they'd learn of each others point.

Some of you guys over-analyze this stuff <_<

Illumination is batting 1000 right now with its fully animated films. Only other company to start that strong? (hint: Pixar).

No one's denying Lorax's really impressive financial performance, but they accomplished that with terrific pre-release marketing (hence the big opening weekend), not so much with the movie itself.

Edited by tribefan695

I had a problem with the twist but maybe I think I could handle it more if there was a better explanation (backstory) on why bears. I think I would have preferred that mother/daughter would have seen each others point through some other life experience. Perhaps, that could have happened if Merida had run away and in search for one another they'd learn of each others point.

Again, what twist? :mellow:

Am I the only one (besides critics) who, although really liking the movie, recognizes that the movie was simply not as well written as past Pixar films?

The fact that the bow became simply a metaphor of her independence but she didn't do anything significant with it at the climax of the film? The fact that the witch was thrown in randomly in the middle and excused with a joke quickly afterward? The rock falling on the giant bear as the finish of the battle? The suitors storyline being old/irrelevant?

Much of the narrative seemed like it was opened up simply because they needed something, but then they cheated on its conclusion because they realized they couldn't tie it together. Maybe they needed more time? Or it was simply a matter of opportunity cost (run-length). The movie was missing that perfect through-line of Wall-E, Up, etc.

The fact that the bow became simply a metaphor of her independence but she didn't do anything significant with it at the climax of the film? The fact that the witch was thrown in randomly in the middle and excused with a joke quickly afterward? The rock falling on the giant bear as the finish of the battle? The suitors storyline being old/irrelevant?

She did do something significant with it: She threw off her dad's focus and bought herself enough time to come between him and Elinor. So she really does save Elinor's life with the bow. Likewise Elinor returns the favor with finishing off Mor'du.

The witch was simply what the Wisps believed could help change Merida's fate. Ultimately they were the much more important characters.

How Mark Andrews explained them:

"There’s a duality to them, because they’re either good or evil—they lead Merida into more and more trouble, but in the end, they’ve led her exactly where she needs to go."

Anyway, would it have really mattered whether the witch was there or not when Merida came back? She probably would've told her the same thing.

As for the rock, it was shown to have cracked when Elinor slammed into it and she decided to use it to her advantage. It didn't just come out of nowhere.

And the suitors storyline wasn't irrelevant, in fact, it ends up being quite relevant. You get the sense that they're being forced into this tradition the same way Merida is, and it's really when they speak out after Merida's speech, not Merida's speech itself, that the clans decide to agree.

Edited by tribefan695

She did do something significant with it: She threw off her dad's focus and bought herself enough time to come between him and Elinor. So she really does save Elinor's life with the bow. Likewise Elinor returns the favor with finishing off Mor'du.

The witch was simply what the Wisps believed could help change Merida's fate. Ultimately they were the much more important characters.

How Mark Andrews explained them:

"There’s a duality to them, because they’re either good or evil—they lead Merida into more and more trouble, but in the end, they’ve led her exactly where she needs to go."

Anyway, would it have really mattered whether the witch was there or not when Merida came back? She probably would've told her the same thing.

As for the rock, it was shown to have cracked when Elinor slammed into it and she decided to use it to her advantage. It didn't just come out of nowhere.

And the suitors storyline wasn't irrelevant, in fact, it ends up being quite relevant. You get the sense that they're being forced into this tradition the same way Merida is, and it's really when they speak out after Merida's speech, not Merida's speech itself, that the clans decide to agree.

I understood all of that. In fact, those answers simply express the complaint of my questions, not any answers to them. Like I said, I enjoyed the movie a lot. Don't take me wrong, but those weak-points in the story were what held it back from being as hailed as films like Up, TS3 or Wall-E.

Again--what TWIST does everyone keep referring to?