The Movie Man

I Hate All the Breaks that Scripted TV Shows Have to Take!

I Hate All the Breaks that Scripted TV Shows Have to Take Because of Reality TV.

I almost feel like waiting till the end of the year, to watch a whole season in one sitting?

It really has little to do with reality TV. Certain parts of the year are higher-rated by advertisers, so networks screen blocks of episodes during those times to capitalize on greater ad revenue.

Also many times breaks are inserted for dramatic effect on an audience. A season airs a block of episodes, the final one ending in a cliffhanger, then the audience has to wait for a month+ to see the resolution, which usually ups anticipation.

Additionally sporting events that occur at certain times cause necessary breaks. For example Fox airs a lot of the MLB playoffs, so they can't show network programming during that period in October. Another example is that CBS airs the NCAA basketball tournament, which cuts down on its ability to show its regular programming on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday nights from Mid-March to Early April.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

I feel dramas should be 13-16 es and comedies around 18-20

I'm torn about this. I like it when my shows get renewed for a full season because that means we get 22-24 episodes but I find that dramas with about half the order on broadcast networks (12-13) are much better plot wise. There's too many filler episodes on broadcast networks.

• Community Manager

I'm torn about this. I like it when my shows get renewed for a full season because that means we get 22-24 episodes but I find that dramas with about half the order on broadcast networks (12-13) are much better plot wise. There's too many filler episodes on broadcast networks.

It's true that there's a lot of filler episodes...but sometimes the filler episodes can be some of the best the show has done (the Parenthood road trip episode from a couple seasons back comes to mind) and it allows the writers to go place they wouldn't be able to if they had a more set episode limit.