Thursday schedules

Broadway/AMC

Pacific Place    
New Holdovers Leaving
Ted - 10 showings Due West 3D - 1 showing (-) Cosmopolis
Magic Mike - 5 showings Headhunters - 3 showings (▼ 5) The Bullet Vanishes
Upside Down - 6 showings Resident Evil: Retribution 3D - 3 showings (▼ 6) To Rome with Love
  The Expendables 2 - 3 showings (▼ 6) Madagascar: Europe's Most Wanted (3D Eng.)
  Intouchables - 4 showings (▼ 6)  
  The Thieves - 1 showing (▼ 2)  

Olympian City    
New Holdovers Leaving
Ted - 8 showings Due West - 5 showings (▼ 6) Due West 3D
Magic Mike - 5 showings Resident Evil: Retribution - 1 showing (▼ 5) Resident Evil: Retribution 3D
Upside Down - 6 showings The Bullet Vanishes - 4 showings (▼ 6) Seeking A Friend for the End of the World
  The Expendables 2 - 2 showings (▼ 5) The Thieves
  Intouchables - 4 showings (▼ 6) GF*BF
  Vulgaria - 1 showing (▲ 0) To Rome with Love

Festival Walk    
New Holdovers Leaving
Ted - 8 showings Due West - 3 showings (▲ 0) The Taste of Money
Magic Mike - 6 showings Due West 3D - 2 showings (▼ 6) Resident Evil: Retribution 3D
Upside Down - 6 showings Headhunters - 2 showings (▼ 5) To Rome with Love
  Resident Evil: Retribution - 2 showings (▲ 1) The Dark Knight Rises
  The Bullet Vanishes - 3 showings (▼ 6)  
  The Expendables 2 - 2 showings (▼ 5)  
  Intouchables - 6 showings (-)  
  Moonrise Kingdom - 1 showing (▼ 2)  
  Vulgaria - 1 showing (-)  

UA

Langham Place    
New Holdovers Leaving
Ted - 14 showings Due West 3D - 4 showings (▼ 9) Chernobyl Diaries
Magic Mike - 4 showings Due West - 2 showings (-) Intouchables
Upside Down - 5 showings Resident Evil: Retribution 3D - 4 showings (▼ 9) The Possession
Looper - 5 showings The Bullet Vanishes - 3 showings (▼ 7)  
  The Expendables 2 - 1 showing (▼ 6)  

MCL

The Grand Cinema    
New Holdovers Leaving
Ted - 10 showings Due West 3D - 5 showings (-) Resident Evil: Retribution
Magic Mike - 5 showings The Bullet Vanishes - 4 showings (▼ 6) ATM
Upside Down - 6 showings Resident Evil: Retribution 3D - 5 showings (▼ 6) Cosmopolis
Looper - 5 showings The Expendables 2 - 6 showings (▼ 8) GF*BF
  Chernobyl Diaries - 3 showings (▼ 5) Friends With Kids
  Intouchables - 5 showings (▼ 8) I Miss You
  Moonrise Kingdom - 1 showing (-) The Cold Light of Day
  Seeking A Friend for the End of the World - 2 showings (-)  
  Starbuck - 5 showings (-)  
  The Taste of Money - 2 showings (▼ 5)  
  To Rome with Love - 1 showing (-)  
  Vulgaria - 1 showing (▼ 2)  

Ted is getting 2 screens at most Broadway/AMC locations as well as UA theaters. Magic Mike is playing at all Broadway/AMC theaters but less than half of UA theaters. Upside Down is going very wide. For holdovers, Resident Evil 5 is being cut in favour of more Ted showtimes. On the flipside, Intouchables is holding its showtimes fairly well. Due West is getting its 3D showtimes cut while 2D holds most of its showings.

Thursday adm. (so far)   September 27
Rank Title LW TW % chg
1 Ted -- 8,146 --
2 Upside Down -- 2,515 --
3 Due West -- 2,309 --
4 Resident Evil: Retribution -- 1,718 --
5 The Bullet Vanishes -- 970 --
Very good for Ted. Decent for Upside Down. That doesn't look like a good number for Due West. Not bad for Resident Evil 5 but it's not going to keep this up through the weekend. OK for The Bullet Vanishes.More theaters have released advanced ticketing for Taken 2 on Saturday. The majority of shows are filling up fairly quickly and it's been put in either the biggest screen or the 2nd largest. I still have no clue though what kind of release Taken 2 is getting this weekend. Some theaters are giving it full day showings, others half day (afternoon + night), and a few have only given it night showings. It's too early to predict anything right now. We'll know more tomorrow when a sizable number of theaters release their Saturday schedules.

I went to see TE2 yesterday in Hong Kong. All the blood was in the movie, no cuts, the picture was clearer and the film just flowed so much better. In the Chinese version they cut a scene that says 'Hubei Province, China' when they are just about to drop off the Chinese billionaire. Weird. I guess China do not like the fact that a US plane is flying over their airspace, not even in a FILM!!But the HK cut did cut one thing that the Chinese one doesn't; it cut it just as Statham kicks Adkins into the helicopter propeller so you do not see his head get taken off. Another weird one how it was in the heavily censored Chinese copy, but not in the more leniant HK copy.Anywa, cinema has 4 people in, but it was a 2:10pm showing. Bloody hard work to actually find a cinema!

But the HK cut did cut one thing that the Chinese one doesn't; it cut it just as Statham kicks Adkins into the helicopter propeller so you do not see his head get taken off. Another weird one how it was in the heavily censored Chinese copy, but not in the more leniant HK copy.

A smart move. They don't want the crazies to get any ideas.In all seriousness, they must have cut that scene to avoid the Category III rating.

A smart move. They don't want the crazies to get any ideas.

In all seriousness, they must have cut that scene to avoid the Category III rating.

It had an over 18's only rating. What is a Category III rating?

I thought HK were a bit more like the US and UK and let anything go, especially when China let it remain..

It had an over 18's only rating. What is a Category III rating?

I thought HK were a bit more like the US and UK and let anything go, especially when China let it remain..

Where? In China?

Expendables 2 got a IIB rating in HK. That is equivalent to a soft PG-13 rating in the US (meaning that children can attend the film without a parent but they are advised of objectionable content). A Category III rating for a film means no one under 18 can watch. Those over 18 have to show ID at the theater to gain entry.
                Sep 20 WKD
Rank Movie Distributor Weekend BO Weeks Engmnts Eng. average % change B.O. Cume
1 Going With The West Newport Entertainment $691,683 1 56 $12,351   $871,737
2 Resident Evil: Retribution Sony $433,709 2 42 $10,326 -66% $2,057,070
3 The Expendables 2 Intercontinental Films $247,876 2 38 $6,523 -53% $1,495,609
4 The Bullet Vanishes Emperor Motion Pictures Group $242,374 2 37 $6,551 -34% $756,258
5 The Intouchables Golden Scene Co $151,998 3 18 $8,444 +12% $564,616
6 Chernobyl Diaries Intercontinental Films $78,098 1 19 $4,110   $78,098
7 Headhunters Edko Films $26,659 1 4 $6,665   $26,659
8 Di Su Xi Ju Golden Scene Co $18,218 7 13 $1,401 -55% $3,859,300
9 Do-Nui Mat (Taste Of Money, The) Cable $13,029 1 6 $2,171   $13,029
10 Bernie Millennium Entertainment $11,644 2 5 $2,329 -19% $31,915

Nice opening for Due West. RE5 held better than RE4's 3rd weekend but it is a little more than $100,000 behind it. It should still pass it with continued IMAX showings until October 18. The Expendables 2 has passed the original even with the delayed release. It'll finish with about 1.8m. The Bullet Vanishes had a strong hold even with formidable local competition. Intouchables benefited from extra screens added and increased. 1m should be achievable now. Chernobyl Diaries bombed. Headhunters opened well while playing in only 4 theaters. Vulgaria had a decent hold in the face of direct competition. The Taste of Money blew. Bernie had a good hold but after starting small, that is not saying much.

Edited by Bluebomb

How many cinemas does Hong Kong actually have?TASM opened to 161 screens, so what, 60-70 cinemas?It was really hard to find one. I looked all around the major shopping areas, but unlike in China, they do not have cinemas on the top floors of most malls.

40-50 theaters.I think at last count with the new IMAX at the Airport opening, the tally is up to 48.
  • Like 1

Chinachem Golden Plaza Multiplex City in East Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.

Ooh Chinachem...I have never been there before but most locals don't recommend going there. In my opinion, you should stick to the big 3 theater chains (Broadway/AMC, UA, MCL) if you want to watch movies here. Avoid Golden Harvest theaters if you can (small screen, squishy seats, bad sound quality) and all Newport theaters (heard horror stories of women being raped inside the theater washrooms).

Wow, so TASM was on at least 3 screens in every cinema. Some must have been 4!Crazy stuff.

Yeah, TASM was on 4 or 5 screens for the most part. The Grand Cinema gave it 39 showtimes on its opening Saturday/Sunday.

Tai Chi 0 is also getting advanced screenings this weekend ahead of its official release next Thursday. Holdovers like Resident Evil 5, Expendables 2, The Bullet Vanishes are getting their showtimes cut to make room for these special screenings.It will also play in IMAX this weekend which means it will cut into RE5's weekend showtimes.

Hey Bluebomb,

What's the sexy 3D movie being advertised in Hong Kong? lots of scantily clad women on the poster wearing tennis clothes... Edit: It's called Due West: 3D.

I want to go back to HK and watch it. And when is it coming out? Edit: Is it already out? Seems like it is, but I can't be sure.

Oh, I have another question, why is Upside Down only coming out in Hong Kong? It looks really good and I've not heard any mention of it being released in the West. It has Hollywood stars too... Edit: I'd still like to know about this..

Edited by The Toymaker

Tai Chi looks good. I'll be seeing it. Love Angelababy. Posted Image

I don't go to HK much, but when I do and I see a movie, I'll try to mix up which cinema I attend....if I can find them lol.

If you want, I can give you some tips on where the best theaters are located.

Hey Bluebomb,

What's the sexy 3D movie being advertised in Hong Kong? lots of scantily clad women on the poster wearing tennis clothes... Edit: It's called Due West: 3D.

I want to go back to HK and watch it. And when is it coming out? Edit: Is it already out? Seems like it is, but I can't be sure.

Oh, I have another question, why is Upside Down only coming out in Hong Kong? It looks really good and I've not heard any mention of it being released in the West. It has Hollywood stars too... Edit: I'd still like to know about this..

Yeah, Due West came out last weekend.

Upside Down actually came out in Canada and Russia last month so it's been out in a couple of places. This is just speculation as to why it came out so early here but I think the distributor did not want to release this during Christmas due to the amount of competition it would have faced had it got a release date there. (I'll explain more soon.) January is also shaping to be a pretty competitive month too and then you got Chinese New Year in February so a ton of movies will come out there. Besides Christmas, this is the only weekend left this year that has 2 holidays back to back giving movies almost a 6-day weekend (Monday and Tuesday are holidays).

Thursday       September 27
Rank Title LW (adm.) TW (adm.) Gross (USD) % chg (adm.)
1 Ted -- 27,779 $234,072 --
2 Upside Down -- 9,239 $78,660 --
3 Due West -- 8,718 $87,047 --
4 Resident Evil: Retribution -- 3,119 $40,797 --
5 The Bullet Vanishes -- 2,624 $21,653 --

*Grosses in the table are always overestimated. Do not take these as final. Thursday actuals will be released tomorrow.

Excellent start for Ted. This could hit 1m for the 4-day. I was a bit skeptical that Ted could produce a 1m opening given that weekday holidays deflate 4-day weekend admissions but it's now a possibility. Upside Down finishes in 2nd place in admissions but drops down to 3rd in gross. This is a pretty good start for Upside Down. Due West is holding more like Sex & Zen. These two will be in a see-saw battle this weekend. Taken 2, Tai Chi 0 and Finding Nemo (3D re-release) all getting weekend showtimes complicates things. Resident Evil: Retribution and The Bullet Vanishes both performed decently to land in the top 5 but they will have their showtimes cut this weekend so they are not out of the woods just yet.

Rest of the top 10
6. Looper - 2,466 admissions ($20,093)
7. Magic Mike - 2,036 ($17,866)
8. Intouchables - 1,997 ($17,916)
9. The Expendables 2 - 1,832 ($15,026)
10. Headhunters - 290 ($2,883)

Looper came back at night after starting out in 9th. I still think this will overtake RE5 and The Bullet Vanishes and land in the top 5. That is terrible for Magic Mike but it still has a chance to grab #6 if it can beat RE5 and The Bullet Vanishes on Saturday and Sunday. Solid hold for Intouchables. It dropped around 27% from last Thursday. Let's see how the weekend will affect it.

Friday adm. (so far)     September 28
Rank Title LW TW % chg QD % chg
1 Ted -- 10,166 -- +24.8%
2 Upside Down -- 2,831 -- +12.6%
3 Due West -- 2,292 -- -0.7%
4 Resident Evil: Retribution -- 1,784 -- +3.8%
5 Magic Mike -- 1,043 -- --

Superb for Ted. Good for Upside Down. Not good news for Due West. Ok for Resident Evil. Good increase for Magic Mike.

Other notables
Love Never Dies - 871 admissions ($14,293) -- OD pre-sales for the sequel to Phantom of the Opera
The Assassins - 576 admissions [ranked #10] -- DOA mainland movie

It is still pretty liberal.Bluebomb, that'd be great to give me the locations of the best theaters. :)I actually quite liked the Chinachem cinema because for so long now I've been going to multi-plexes and it was nice to go to an old style cinema, they have much more character, and they are reminiscent of what I attended when I was younger. But yeah, if you could let me know where the cinemas are, that would be excellent (tube stops included :) )