2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Puhua siitä.

Nice attempt, but it should say "Keskustelkaa"  ;)

I Give it a Year is a very awkward film to watch, but not in a good way like you'd expect from the Borat scribe Dan Mazer, who's making his directorial debut with this. What makes the movie so awkward is the fact it has no idea what it wants to be, mixing rape jokes and other genuinely nasty comedy with sweet and cliched romcom elements. It doesn't come together. I think the only good movie that attempted to mix raunch and romance was Knocked Up and even there it doesn't fully work. 

Another big problem are the five main characters. None of them are interesting or three dimensional enough to make me give a crap about their stories. The couple the movie focuses on are played by Rafe Spall, who when nervous starts to channel Hugh Grant, as the slob and the stunningly beautiful Rose Byrne as the somewhat shrill wife. I think she might be the best thing about the movie, she is just wonderful even with the poor script she's been given. Stephen Merchant pops in to play Rafe Spall's best friend, and he feel really out of place. They just let him improvise nasty stuff ala Judd Apatow when the scene should be ending already. You also have Simon Baker and Anna Faris as supporting characters but neither leave an impression. 

There is one scene that got a huge belly-laugh from me and there are some chuckles sprinkled throughout, but overall the issues of the movie really come down to a pretty poor script. If you look beyond the greasy sex jokes you see that the movie has nothing original or clever to offer. 

2/5