Memento (2000)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Memento is a twisty and fun noir with an excellent performance by Guy Pearce at the center. Nolan's writing has some of its usual flaws, but overall, the screenplay is tight and takes full advantage of its gimmick. His direction is on point, and the editing is unique and yet always engaging. Pantoliano delivers a supporting performance worth remembering, and the cinematography is often gorgeous. However, the real best aspect of Memento is the ending, which puts into the frame just what Nolan is trying to say about the noir genre while giving a complete answer to who Leonard is in the most fascinating way imaginable. Memento is a stunning sophomore effort from director Christopher Nolan, who makes an ironically memorable film thanks to his playing with noir tropes that makes a truly original movie. A

• Like 1

It's amazing. I haven't watched it in a decade so it was a really rewarding experience. I remembered the bare bones of it but I had forgot a lot of important moments like the reveal of Carrie Ann Moss manipulating him. The script and especially the way it is structured is unreal. All the themes and character development are pretty much built in the unconventional structure and while you have the feeling that you 're in constant hurry to catch up with the movie's narrative the tragedy of this story creeps up on you. It's just perfect. Guy Pearce, Carrie Ann Moss and Joe Pantoliano are all mesmerizing in their roles and Nolan just really has the audience at the edge of their seat struggling to put the puzzle in place and in the end it all makes so much sense. 

The Prestige has been my pick for best Nolan movie for a long time, but I can see the case about Memento being his best. It's definately his best script. 

• Like 2