Memento (2000)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Very great movie. Wouldn't say it's Nolan's best, but it's in the Top Three. The editing was great and the subtle hints dropped along the movie are also a very good idea, especially that part with that 1 second shot of Sammy Jankins being replaced with Leonard in order to hint how everything really was.

Nolan's best film and it's not even a close decision. 

This. It's really a masterpiece, IMO. And unlike any of Nolan's blockbusters, it only gets better with every viewing. First time I saw it, I liked it a lot as a twisty, intelligent thriller, but only after I've watched it a couple more times did I fully appreciate just how tragic the whole story is. Sometimes I think Nolan's never going to make a better film, especially as it's becoming more and more obvious how nearly every single movie of his has an obsessed white male in a twisty, non-linear plot that also involves either a dead or a potentially dangerous woman (or both). Those concepts and ideas are by far at their most fully realized in Memento, capped off with a profound feeling of melancholy and noirish despair - of all the Nolan's films, this might be the hardest to accuse of not being emotional enough.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

***** out of *****

Arguably the most innovative use of non linear storytelling ever utilized in film.  (*SPOILERS*) I loved the part where the drunk was laughing after Leonard drank his beer, which was confusing at first, but then in the next scene (or is it previous?) we see that he spit in it.  But it's where we see that Carrie-Anne Moss' character using him the whole time that was the ultimate twist.

• Like 1

Being a bit of an SF fan, the "twist" or mode of storytelling was not really new to me, but it was perfectly realised; very clever film. But as with many Nolan films, I felt a bit detached - it's memorable and intense, but in the end it's not very satisfying from the emotional POV. It's the same in literature for me: I adore Gene Wolfe, he's probably the cleverest writer working today, and his stories and novels are full of trapdoors and smoke and mirrors (besides being very tight and technically flawless), but most of them leave me wanting a bit more involved.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

Fascinating. I enjoyed this much more than The Prestige on first viewing (although it's been ages since I last saw Prestige). It's probably his best crafted film. I wish he'd make more films that are smaller like this. A.

• Like 1

Wow this was really great and 'different'. The non-linear narrative was used so so so well, it blew my mind. The whole effect, then cause thing worked so well. And the twist at the end was great, it completely changed all we believed throughout, whats the truth whats the lie, who's right and who lying. The sammy jenkis thing added a layer. It totally reminded me of shutter island (after the truth about it was revealed of course). So many things worked so well due to the non-linear structure. Like throughout, again and again, we were shown 'don't believe teddy's lies' and then the ending/start turned it upside down. Natalie was definitely the good girl, and in fact she was in a way, but then we see how she used him. And many other things like that. The acting was good. The story was great. The writing and direction were masterpiece level and so complementary in their goodness.

Love it 9.5/10

• Like 3