39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Tangled

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

In an effort to make the film more "boy-friendly", the makers squandered a HUGE opportunity to flesh out a fascinatingly rich mother/daughter dynamic with lasting consequences on Rapunzel's personality. Not that Flynn/Eugene isn't awesome but this villain could have been Disney's most layered yet with the most complex relationship and effect on the heroine. 

I agree. There were so many possibilities instead of making her 100% evil, the old black and white vision about things.

• Like 1

Tangled is the film that deservedly returned Disney animation to the land of musicals and fairy tales. The story is entrancing, mainly thanks to Rapunzel and Flynn's great chemistry and the delightful music by Alan Menken. Maximus is the highlight, a wonderfully realized character that steals the show every second he's on screen. "I See The Light" is one of Disney's finest sequences, tugging at the heartstrings even on the fourth or fifth viewing. The movie only falters at points since it, more than the two Disney musicals that followed, has too much "modern speak" which comes off as annoying and already dated. Still, Disney came back in style with Tangled, a truly fun film and one that remains a very good time despite its one huge flaw. Magical. B

I know it's been a pretty common refrain in recent years, but I do think that Tangled is a better property than Frozen. I find the characters are a lot more charming, and the setting is a little better and more fleshed out (or perhaps I just want Zachary Levi to be in more things). At the very least, we did get a pretty good animated series out of it. The songs there really hold up against anything Disney has put out in recently (I think Alan Menken had a pretty big hand in them?).