Plain Old Tele

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Pride and Prejudice (2005)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

yep, the family scenes are good - Brenda Blethyn and Donald Sutherland really stand out, but Keira Knightley is shining, too, and it's Carey Mulligan's first feature I think. The weakest link here is Matthew Macfadyen, but his Darcy is a very wooden character in the book to start with, so maybe not his fault but the screenwriter's.

yep, the family scenes are good - Brenda Blethyn and Donald Sutherland really stand out, but Keira Knightley is shining, too, and it's Carey Mulligan's first feature I think. The weakest link here is Matthew Macfadyen, but his Darcy is a very wooden character in the book to start with, so maybe not his fault but the screenwriter's.

I agree on Keira, she is great, which most people agree......and on Darcy, I liked how wooden he was in the beginning, as that is how far he had to change. As I think he did changed as the movie moved on???

Yep, he changed from recluse superman to modestly invested superman :) - Jane Austen had him written that way, but I think the screenwriters might have moved him a bit more towards a real-life man; as it is he's the weak point in book and this adaption. Speaking as a cynic, what we have here is basically a 19th century version of Sex and the City. Speaking as a reader and cinephile, I do prefer the 19th century version, but it suffers from the strictly female perspective.

• Like 1

The best part about the film are the visuals and its not the over top kind like in Great Gatsby.

Also you really like the characters and of course the story is great as its based off a classic novel...

Its interesting that even in today's times this story has remained so popular, its been a craze for like 200 years now (this year).

8/10 

The best part about the film are the visuals and its not the over top kind like in Great Gatsby. Also you really like the characters and of course the story is great as its based off a classic novel...Its interesting that even in today's times this story has remained so popular, its been a craze for like 200 years now (this year). 8/10

Imo. Best part are the visuals and Keira Knightly's Acting. Edited by CHECKMATE
  • Like 1

um not my favorite version but it was good. Keira was good but Tom what's his name stole the show as Mr. Collins. I think Keira was the only actress that is the right age to play Elizabeth Bennett that I've seen.  Most other actresses look way too old for the part.

Rupert Friend was pretty good as Wickham. I thought Matthew McFadyen was okay. I did feel his speech to Elizabeth was rather good and it was heartfelt. I didn't like how Mr. and Mrs. Bennett were portrayed. Donald Sutherland was way too easy going. Really his wife got on his nerves and he couldn't stand her most of the time. They got that part wrong in this movie. I didn't really care for Judy Dench's Lady Catherine or Simon Woods' Bingley. Carey Mulligan as Kitty didn't have much to do here. However, she was in another Austen adaptation "Northanger Abbey" where her role was more substantial

As far as D'arcy, yes he is supposed to be rigid. I thought Colin Firth did it better in the BBC mini series. But still I'll watch Jayne Austen anything so it was very enjoyable.  Solid B+

Anyway I give this version a solid B+. Points off for screwing up the Bennetts though.

It's all blustery and brooding, sort of a Wuthering Pride & Prejudice.

Oh that Bronte. I was thinking Jane Eyre Bronte.

But it doesn't make a difference which one it is really. All 3 Bronte sisters wrote the darkest novels.

Yeah Pride and Prejudice is supposed to humorous. I think the only one that really captured the humor was the really old one. The one with the bad costumes.