The Ninth Gate (1999)

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

There are not that many films that take the time to be a really good thriller. Most films that are produced are smart enough to realize that most people have the attention span of 4 year old when it comes to films. Something always has to be happening for the audience to stay focussed on the film. Well in the Ninth Gate, that doesn't always happen. I really liked the film, right up until the very end when it makes no sense. And I have read other reviews that complain about the same thing so I am glad that I am not the only one. I believe this film could have been excellent if only it would have explained itself a bit more at it's conclusion. I still recommend it highly but I have no idea what it all means, you figure it out.

The film has one of the best opening set ups that I have seen in quite some time. It begins by showing Dean Corso ( Johnny Depp ) as a sleazy book hunter. He swindles a couple out of some rare books and then he heads off to his best paying client who then informs him that he wants him to go off to Portugal and France to find the only two other copies of a book that may or may not open the Ninth Gate, where Satan is supposed to rise from Hell. The man's name is Boris Balkan and he is played with a quiet sinisterness by Frank Langella. It seems the book that he has is one of only three copies. The man who wrote it was burned alive in the Spanish Inquisition because he was apparently in cohoots with Satan himself. Corso does go on his journey to Europe to locate the two remaining books and find their secrets. While in Europe looking for the books, he escapes death numerous times, discovers discrepencies with the three books, meets a stranger in the form of a beautiful French? woman that uses martial arts to save him once and she also floats twice from stair cases, but we, the audience get to see that, not Corso himself. The scenes in Europe are so thick with potential that when the end does come about, it makes no sense and it ultimately lets you down. I was greatly reminded of Alan Parker's 1987 film Angel Heart and I could see a great many similarities to the two characters and the situations that they are in and I was sure that the movie was setting us up for a similar fate for Corso that Angel went through. But then, it just ends. There is some vague attempt at an explanation but it really left everyone in the theater confused. If anyone really knows what it is all about, please email me and let me know. I would be most greatful.

To locate and research the two books, Corso has to talk to their owners. When he spends some time with both of them and then the day after they both show up dead, there is a world of possibilities that could lead to. Again, I was reminded of Angel Heart where all of Harry's suspects turn up dead. A similar fate could have been in store for Corso but again, all potential for mystery and sinister people is all but erased because the story was too lazy to go the route that it should have. And that is too bad because, as I said before, the film has so much potential, so much. But it was wasted. Sure there is an underlying theme about being seduced by power and the dark side but again it is not explored at all, and you would think that a film that runs over 2 hours could explain more of that to us.

The Ninth Gate is a fascinating film with an intriguing story and it keeps you interested throughout the film. I liked it for that and if only the ending would have told me more then I would think this film is one of the best ones that I have seen on the occult. But with the confusing ending, it just feels like something is missing, and it is.

7.5 out of 10 ( should have been a 9 )

• Like 1