The Ghost and the Darkness (1996)

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I love this movie. It is like Jaws on land. And it is based on a true story as well. The cinematography is amazing and so is the score. This one of the most underrated movies of the 90s

John, William Goldman's book "Which Lie Did I Tell?" has a section where he talks about the inspiration for the story (from the original book), how he wrote the script, and where it all started to come apart (in his opinion). It's a pretty good read if you're interested in the movie, and there are a bunch of other essays about his "further adventures in the screen trade".

I love this movie. It is like Jaws on land. And it is based on a true story as well. The cinematography is amazing and so is the score. This one of the most underrated movies of the 90s

Agree - one of my favorites!  Took my kids years ago to the Field Museum in Chicago - they have those 2 lions on display.

John, William Goldman's book "Which Lie Did I Tell?" has a section where he talks about the inspiration for the story (from the original book), how he wrote the script, and where it all started to come apart (in his opinion). It's a pretty good read if you're interested in the movie, and there are a bunch of other essays about his "further adventures in the screen trade".

thanks I have heard of it but not read it. 

also, this movie needs a Blu ray release really really badly. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

I remember this film.  There was nothing remarkable about it, I watched it almost two decades ago and I remember the scene where the lion drags the man out of his tent and into the darkness.  This is back when Val Kilmer was one of my favorite actors and he did a good job.  I remember less about Micheal Douglas but its rare that he gives a bad performance.  The subject matter is somewhat limited.  I remember the movie doing a good job of displaying the pressure Kilmer's character was under and his family back home gave the audience even more reason to hope his character survived.  The Lions were pretty intimidating as depicted (considering they weren't remorseless robots armed with lasers or unstoppable alien monsters).

B-/C+