baumer

Oblivion (2013)

81 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just back from the cinema. Here are my initial thoughts:

Oblivion is a Frankenstein's monster of sci-fi films (and games) but despite it's flaws I was thoroughly engaged from start to finish and often in awe of the beautiful imagery Kosinski turned out. The acting is solid across the board (Andrea Riseborough is a stand out) often elevating secondary characters beyond their under-developed shortfalls. Cruise also does a good job of not being Tom Cruise, especially during early intimate moments with Riseborough's character, but he does have a few moments to stretch his legs for The Cruise™ signature run. 

Of all I appreciated that Oblivion stuck with it's primary characters rather than stuffing the narrative with needless action beats as most modern blockbusters do. The secondary characters are unfortunately left somewhat underdeveloped and at times I wished I had a better grasp on them and their way of life. But this is not their story and those three core protagonists are relatively solid and well developed, which helps when the film begins to twist and turn it's way towards a conclusion at break-neck speed. As a result, even when I knew where the film was heading during a few familiar plot points, I still wanted to see how they unfolded with these characters. 

As for the story, though a couple of plot holes rear their heads during the film's 2+ hours I was surprised to find Oblivion had a rather solid story to tell. However, some world building could have been better integrated with the story in the film's first act. Instead we're dealt with an overly stuffed and exposition heavy opening narration telling us this is how the world is and how it got there. Although jarring it perhaps allows for the narrative to move more efficiently towards exploring a much grander picture.

Oblivion is not always original, but neither was Moon or District 9 (though they remain better films). With a few plot tweaks, a little tightening in the middle and a touch more character development in the right places this could have been great. But I'm happy with it being just a well rounded good film too. 

I will certainly watch Oblivion again. And with Michael Arndt's pen behind the screen, I've been given a new shred of hope for his next effort.

B

Edited by Gazz
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the movie. Stunning visuals, great soundtrack and good performances from all involved. The story held me all the way through although it doesn't rise to the level of a great film. Pretty much most of the plot points we've seen before in several other films. It's basically Moon on a grander scale combined with Independence Day with elements of other films such as 2001, I Am Legend, Star Trek I and The Matrix thrown in for good measure. Still, I didn't mind as it all came together as a whole quiet well for me. A prequel would be called Oblivion:Attack of the Clones.

• Like 3

Oh, jesus people, how cna you like this shit in which TC has sex with Olga once and she immediately gets preggo with Suri and basiclaly she and Suri are the saviors of humanity. What a Xenu bullshit.

Edited by fishnets

This post was originally in response to Fishnets question: 'Why didn't Olga die when most of the cast do?'

It's simple. Her character deserved to live. Her dying would have completely cut the weight from Jack's sacrifice in the third act. And since we aren't really given enough of a look into the SCAV's way of life she also primarily represents humanity (and innocence), the very thing Jack is fighting to save in the final moments. She survives because it works for the story and the characters. 

Edited by Gazz

Oh, jesus people, how cna you like this shit in which TC has sex with Olga once and she immediately gets preggo with Suri and basiclaly she and Suri are the saviors of humanity. What a Xenu bullshit.

She may have already been pregnant and there are other humans alive.

She may have already been pregnant and there are other humans alive.

It's certainly heavily implied that the child is the product of Jack and Julia's night together, at least in terms of what we're shown. 

And it works in the story, especially considering Jack's death in the final act. It's not the most original epilogue but provides enough light at the end of the tunnel to satisfy on a blockbuster level. 

Edited by Gazz
  • Like 1

It's certainly heavily implied that the child is the product of Jack and Julia's night together, at least in terms of what we're shown.

Yeah, I know it's the far more likely scenario. Just throwing the other possibility out there.
  • Like 1

What`s with TC and insta pregnancy shit? Didn`t Minority report have some pregnancy shit too?

Anyway, this sounds worse than before. So TC dumps Andrea just because woman from his dream showed up and we are supposed to be OK with that? I hope that another woman whom Olga character try to steal blows the hole in her and Suri`s head in Oblivion sequel 9that won`t happen).

What`s with TC and insta pregnancy shit? Didn`t Minority report have some pregnancy shit too? Anyway, this sounds worse than before. So TC dumps Andrea just because woman from his dream showed up and we are supposed to be OK with that? I hope that another woman whom Olga character try to steal blows the hole in her and Suri`s head in Oblivion sequel 9that won`t happen).

Tom shoots Olga in the gut but Tom then saves her. The movie makes clear Andrea likes Tom far more the Tom likes Andrea. There isn't a mutual love between them. Andrea is also a more by the book character and not open to new ideas. She always has to follow the rules.
  • Like 1

Anyway, this sounds worse than before. So TC dumps Andrea just because woman from his dream showed up and we are supposed to be OK with that?

It's clear you have not seen the film. 

I actually felt terribly sorry of Victoria and the situation she was in and the film does indeed explore this angle. Her actions were completely understandable as a result of what had a occurred. But Julia wasn't just a woman from Jack's dreams, she was a woman from his memory. He felt love for her even when he didn't have all puzzle pieces as to say why. Olga wasn't stealing anyone nor makes an attempt to, she was simply trying to make sense of why the man she calls her husband is no longer the person he was before.

• Like 1

As someone who has seen the film I found the character likeable if a little under-developed and the handling of the above conflict (as in her not simply declaring Jack to be hers or 'stealing him') helped me warm up to her. She was just as concerned with finding the truth of the situation as Jack was and only revealed herself to be his wife when pushed.

I will never support the boxoffice of an Olga movie. I hated her in QoS. I`m glad she died in The Centurion. That`s the only reason why I caught that shit on TV, because I knew she`d die beforehand. If she died here I`d watch but otherwise no.

Not like you to dismiss an entire film based on one actor or actress  ;)

I found her to be one of the very few plus points about QoS, which was otherwise pretty terrible and I loved most of Centurion (a big Neil Marshall fan). But her small part in Max Payne was incredibly forgettable and Hitman was a miss all round. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of hers or anything but I think Oblivion is one of Olga's better roles to date. She's certainly not as stone-faced as is usually expected of her. 

But yeah, if you can't look past the fact she's even in the film before you've seen it then I certainly would not recommend it to you. 

Edited by Gazz