Lolita (1962)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

easily the most intimate of kubrick that i've seen, maintaining scything satire without the distant coldness. that also means that it's often harder to watch. slightly prefer his other piece on sexual obsession (eyes wide shut), but both are excellent.

peter sellers is amazing as quilty.

almost a shame that they had to up the age of the actress for the screen. a bit of extra controversy never hurt.  :P

83/100, A-

Edited by lisa

Can anyone explain to me how they managed to make this film 150 minutes long? I know I can't. Shit was was painfully lethargic, as in it had me actively angry because it seemed like it would never end.

And did I already say I strongly dislike films beginning in medias res? it strikes me as a technique used by people who have no confidence in the story they are telling.

25/100

Now thinking about it, I experienced the exact same things with another Kubrick film. There are 4 of those left. :unsure:

Edited by Goffe

overall i like it but peter sellers is legit awful in this. shtick isn't funny here, movie always grinds to a halt when he shows up. it's funny kubrick earned the total control freak rep for his later films but here he just let's the dude riff for as long as he wants it seems like.