Plain Old Tele

World-famous Graumann's Chinese about to re-open as biggest-capacity IMAX in the world

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/chinese-theater-renovation-unveiled-1200605396/

Pretty cool article (and short video) about the renovation. I can't wait to go see a movie there -- the old Chinese was really cool in terms of old-fashioned ambience, but not a great place to see a movie. Seems like they kept the great old Asian-themed art-deco style and the huge seating and added (finally) a huge new screen, projectors, and sound system.

932 seats... nice.

Edited by Telemachos

I don't like digital IMAX, it's kinda obsolete, two 2k projectors do not resemble the quality of an iMAX film projector....the normal theaters use 4k projectors for God's sake, why does Imax not upgrade to better projectors?

Many IMAX theaters still use two stacked 2K projectors for 3D projection (brighter than a single projector). Plus, most digital "prints" are still 2K. However, according to the article, the Chinese still has the 4K projector in addition to the 2x2K setup... plus it'll get the new laser projectors coming soon (which are 4K).

Planning on going to watch the "Wizard of Oz" IMAX reissue there. The only bad thing about Chinese and El Capitan is the location - parking is crazy and the mass of people there makes it worse.

Hollywood & Highland garage is the only way to go. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the 3D remastering of OZ.

• Like 1