36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Which battle do you like the most? 8?

Part of "The Battle of Hogwarts" though I do not seem to be a major fan of HP's battles in general. Actually, the preparations for the "Battle of Hogwarts" was imho more epic than the actual event - though there is a part with the trio running through the battle with some great music over it which is really fantastic.

McGonagall vs. Snape, though short, had me totally captivated. I also thought the Voldemort vs. Harry duell in Goblet was quite emotional... more so than Voldemort's ultimate defeat.

• Like 2

This was actually a hell of a lot better than I remember. The final act is stunning, and everything that the GoF finals should have been in terms of time and atmosphere. The stakes feel high for the first time and that final duel was (and remains) the highpoint of the series from an action perspective.

It's a fucking disaster if you ask me. Yates direction is so amateurishly abysmal it makes me crazy some actually think it's an improvement over GoF. By far the worst Potter in every single technical department, especially cinematography and costumes. I find no joy watching a villain without an ounce of nuance or depth like Umbridge, who honestly belongs to one of the Columbus films... no scratch that, even flamboyant Lucious Malfoy managed to be more subtle than her in his first appearance. "You know, I really hate children" *facepalm*. Harry going all teen angst on everyone was beyond insufferable.

- It's kind of ironic that Sirius says at one point that the world is not split into good people and Death Eaters, yet OOTP is probably the most caricatural of all Potter films. 

- A 12-year-old Hermione once said that fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself. 3 years later, she goes through a 1-minute character arc where she has to find the courage to say the villain's name. 

- See the first 10 seconds in each video, tell me if the filmmaking is not years apart.

- Embarrassing

- How much did this film cost to make? $50?
screenshot_34.png

- Who the fuck approved those costumes?
2016_09_10.png

- That's just lazy
screenshot_34.png

- Establishing shot encapsulating what's so wrong with the film 
gifanpr.gif

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 3

This is a little worse than I remember. Maybe it just leaves a better taste because the final act in the Department of Mysteries is really good and the Dumbledore-Voldemort duel is even better, but many parts of the movie before that point feel like they 're moving on fast forward. The pace is definately rushing from scene to scene and giving us bullet points versions of events. Of course this book is the anti-GOF in the sense that it's so overstuffed with subplots it's pretty hard to adapt. But the problem isn't really what they cut but how many scenes don't have any room to breathe. Maybe a little more Snape training, maybe a little set up to the prophecy, maybe a little more Cho so the whole thing doesn't feel like it lasted 2 minutes.

The movie is still enjoyable and Imelda Staunton is great at scenery chewing but I don't understand why it moves so fast as if it has to end before the 130 minute mark no matter what. If there's one movie in the whole series that could beneffit from a 140-150 min. runtime is probably this one.

B-.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1