Jay Beezy

Fanmail: Handwritten or Typed?

6 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to write fan letters?

• Handwritten - Makes it look more personal
    • Typed - So long as the content is personal

I was having this topic on a fanmail forum. Someone is adamant about handwriting fanmail because it automatically makes it personal. I and others believe it doesn't matter and prefer typing because we question our own handwriting and a typed message is clearer and easier to read, but it's important nonetheless to make the content personal.

Hi,

I receive quite a few messages. I'm not famous or anything, but I am known in the autism community. On a couple of occasions, I have received handwritten messages, and let me tell you I HATE, HATE, HATE handwritten messages. If you can't decipher some words it is damn annoying and it takes a lot longer to read a handwritten message.

To be honest, I think it is disrespectful to write a message by hand, especially to someone who doesn't know you.

EDIT: Just read over the thread. I don't think these people know what they are talking about because they have never been in a position of receiving letters before. If you are getting a lot of letters, how personal it is doesn't even matter that much. What matters most is can I read it quickly. Long letters are also a big no-no and there are many "heartfelt" long-ass letters I never ever responded to because I didn't have the time to read it. Sorry just being honest. And, like I said, I'm not a celebrity, so they have even less time than I do, so I guarantee that a long letter or a handwritten letter is likely to not get the time of day. Just speaking from personal experience though.

2nd Edit: Although for what it is worth, most celebrities pay people to answer their fan mail for them. If you Google it up, you can find these services online and hire them for you.

Edited by CloneWars

I doubt celebs even see the fan mail that they get. It's probably handled (and maybe even signed by) their assistants and/or their agencies.

I believe letters are screened by assistants and such before they're supposedly passed off to the celebs. I suppose it could depend on the celebrity and whether or not he/she likes to keep in touch with the fans.

no matter how you present it, you can be sure that your letter will be a mere atom in their universe, a meaningless distraction that they couldn't give a shit about.

Sadly, I do agree with you. Celebrities have lives and busy schedules. Even the most heart-felt fan letter will be forgotten a day later.

Sadly, I do agree with you. Celebrities have lives and busy schedules. Even the most heart-felt fan letter will be forgotten a day later.

I'm aware of that. I'm not expecting a hasty response. There are some celebrities who do care about the fans and try to set up some time to read fan mail and sign things for them, but they generally don't do this frequently, so you don't receive a hasty response unless it comes just in time for the celebrity to do his/her signing.

But just going back to that thread I linked to, the one guy claims that the celebs' compliments on the signed photos toward his kind words, drawings, and doodles are mostly attributed to the fact that he handwrote his fan letters. And he will not budge in his opinions.

Edited by Jay Beezy