baumer

The Fly (1986)

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Goldblum became a star after this movie.  He really has a presence in here.  I'm a pretty big fan of Cronenberg's horror films and I think this is his crowning achievement.  

Edited by baumer

Great horror movie 

Cronenberg to and fro and above else you can never forget it it stays with you for years to come and that's an attribute of great films 

I'd never thought I give such a disgusting movie a 9/10 but here it is 

• Like 1

Pretty awesome. A touching, disgusting and surprisingly poignant love story, quite unlike anything I have ever seen. Great score too.

One negative point (and the reason I'm not giving it a higher score) is that I found it hard to buy that Geena Davis would stick around once Goldblum started to turn into a giant monster and display aggressive behavior. I mean, if I had a girlfriend that turned into a giant fucking fly, I'm pretty sure I would get the fuck out of dodge. However, I did feel a pang of empathy for him at the very end when his body was fused with the teleporting device, and I was surprised those nasty images were able to elicit such a response from me.

I also feel the movie was a bit too briskly paced and could have used an extra 15 or 20 minutes to further flesh out their relationship.

8.5/10

PS: I look forward to diving into the plasma pool and check out more of Cronenberg's weird stuff.
Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 3