baumer

I, Robot (2004)

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I love this movie! It has a mix of everything. The action scenes  are awesome, the CGI is amazing, the film has lots of interesting sci fi ideas, and Will Smith is at the top of his game here.  Sure the film is not an adaptation of the book which disappointed people , but to be fair the movie only said it was "Suggested" by the book

The score by Marco Beltrami also deserves mention. I first noticed him because of his excellent score for this movie

Probably one of my favorite blockbusters

• Like 2

For some reason I have always loved this movie, Will Smith is a mother fucking movie star! Every time I see this on TV or HBO I get sucked in and watch the whole thing. 

This is also my favorite and in my mind most believable future. I can actually imagine a world like this in my life time. 

I can't really go to in depth but I just have a great time every time I watch it. A Blockbuster that I will watch the rest of my life and show my kids.

B+

• Like 1

A Decent execution to a great story that was dumbed down for the masses. Too much focus on the least interesting aspects, like Spooner instead of Sonny, the PG-13 action, Spooner dumb hate for robots, etc. 

There's a lot of fat that could have been trimmed, they redundantly repeat the same information 2 or 3 times during the film, it's like the director was afraid that story was too complicated.

Other low points include uneven FX, and a specific scene of Susan and Spooner arguing in her house, it's just too awfully dumb.

Some occasionally inspired Will Smith moments, the excellent production design and memorable score by Beltrami saves this film from a total fiasco.

+50/100
Edited by Goffe

B+

I was engaged for the entire movie (though it did seem to get a bit hokey towards the end).  I liked the attempt at both an action movie with a thriller plotline (a whodunit mystery).  Will Smith was typical Will Smith and how about the Shia Lebouf character?  Shia got to play a character as stupid and impulsive as Shia's real life personality!!!

Good special effects and an interesting premise.  It wasn't thought provoking but did cause a little pondering of the underlying themes of hubris and technology (though the morality themes were played down to create a typical hollywood production).  All in all, watching it was time well spent.