Top 25 horror films post 2000- SHAUN OF THE DEAD WINS

5 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the winner

• Yes
    • Not Sure
    • No

AND THE WINNER IS....

1. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4- 227 points

I am probably more shocked about this than anyone else but IT WON. This must have received a massive audience somewhere and is more popular than it's box office suggests. This had the most 1st place finishes [8] and took a late lead over Zombieland to win. This film is hated by critics but must be liked by fans. What do you think of the top 25 list?

Nominated for 2 awards winning both for worst film and best performance in a feature film- leading young actress

• Like 1

AND HERE IS THE REAL NUMBER ONE……………………………

SHAUN OF THE DEAD

248 points

The 2004 British comedy horror created the new genre of zom-rom-com. The film was not a major hit in either the UK or the US but has grown a humongous cult following since its release. This was also the first feature film teaming for Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost. Frost has starred in films such as Paul and the upcoming Cuban Fury, Pegg had starred in the two new star trek’s and mission impossible 4 while Edgar Wright directed another film with a strong cult following [scott Pilgrim] and is directing Ant-Man. This 3 team reunited for major hit Hot Fuzz [especially in the UK] and critically acclaimed The World’s End. Those 2 films and SOTD formed the three flavours Cornetto trilogy with a cornetto flavour being referenced in each film. It has a fantastic 91% approval rating on RT. It earned 30M of a 6M budget. It is one of the higher films according to gross of the Film 4 productions. People such as Tarantino, Romero and Stephen King have called this a classic and a cult film. Cuban film Juan of the Dead was influenced by this. In my view this is a classic and the deserving winner of the top 25 horror films post 2000. I was one of the many people who put this top and I’m glad it’s made it. Now what do you think of the top 25?

Nominated for 27 awards including 11 wins for best horror, best screenplay, Simon Pegg, best film and best British film. It also got 3 nominations at the BAFTA awards for best British film, interactive award and most promising newcomer for Nira Park who was the producer.

Thank you for reading this list

FULL LIST

1 Shaun of the dead 248

2 Zombieland 220

3 28 Days Later 153

4 Saw 139

5 Cabin in the Woods 138

6 The Ring 128

7 The Host 113

8 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) 107

9 Drag me to Hell 96

10 Paranormal Activity 77

11 Eden Lake 75

12 Let the Right One In 70

13 The House of the Devil 67

14 Dawn of the Dead 66

14 Scream 4 66

16 Freddy Vs. Jason 63

17 [REC] 60

18 Insidious 57

19 Battle Royale (2000/Japan) 56

20 The Crazies 55

21 Let Me In 52

21 Switchblade Romance 52

21 The Thing 52

24 Final Destination 51

24 Final Destination 2 51

24 The Grudge 51

PA is head and shoulders better than Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland and 95% of the films on this list.  In fact, most of this lists sucks donkey balls.  Seriously.  Some of these films are comedies, not horror.  Verry Very bad list imo.

FULL LIST

1 Shaun of the dead 248 Not horror

2 Zombieland 220 not horror

3 28 Days Later 153 Fine but over rated

4 Saw 139 deserving 

5 Cabin in the Woods 138 joke, seriously?  This is not one of the 50 best horror films of the last decade

6 The Ring 128 Should be higher 

7 The Host 113 horrible film

8 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) 107 should be higher

9 Drag me to Hell 96  i just threw up in my mouth a little

10 Paranormal Activity 77 should be higher

11 Eden Lake 75 good rank

12 Let the Right One In 70 good film

13 The House of the Devil 67 haven;'t seen it

14 Dawn of the Dead 66 good horror

14 Scream 4 66 great film

16 Freddy Vs. Jason 63  great film

17 [REC] 60 great film

18 Insidious 57 over rated

19 Battle Royale (2000/Japan) 56 very good

20 The Crazies 55 very good

21 Let Me In 52 ok

21 Switchblade Romance 52 good film

21 The Thing 52 not bad

24 Final Destination 51 both really good horrors

24 Final Destination 2 51

24 The Grudge 51  incredibly stupid but scary as hell

So I guess the list isn't horrible like I stated but the first two are ridicullous.

And here is the new announcement. I am starting the new competition as top 100 songs from movies ever.

No need.  We did this earlier in the year with Walt Disney doing the hosting honours.

...and nothing for The Mist, which is a better and more affecting horror film than every single movie on the list.

Moreover, why do Zombieland, The Cabin in the Woods, and Drag Me to Hell all appear even though each one has significant comedy leanings? (In fact, Zombieland is a comedy outright.) And in that case, if we are counting horror-comedies among straight horror, why is Army of Darkness nowhere to be found?

Moreover, why do Zombieland, The Cabin in the Woods, and Drag Me to Hell all appear even though each one has significant comedy leanings? (In fact, Zombieland is a comedy outright.) And in that case, if we are counting horror-comedies among straight horror, why is Army of Darkness nowhere to be found?

This isn't a list of scariest post-2000 horrors, this is just the best films which are also horrors. Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, while also comedies, count as horrors and are both really good, hence why they won.

Also Army of Darkness is a 1992 film.