Dementeleus

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Thor: The Dark World (2013)  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Thor: The Dark World is textbook mediocrity. There's absolutely nothing exemplary about it, coasting by on franchise staples to be merely watchable. However, thanks to its utter lack of any risktaking, it's remarkably boring. Hemsworth and Hiddleston phone in their performances, and Portman changes from a forgettable love interest to an actively bad one who weighs down the plot for no real reason.

The action is dull, and even an inspired third act idea is executed in the most unimaginative way possible. I've never been one to call the Marvel Cinematic Universe "like a TV show," but this easily is the closest it gets to that argument being true. Worse, this is a filler episode, with no character development for any characters and no plot development that couldn't have been put in another movie's post-credit scene.

Indeed, the post-credits scene that sets up Guardians of the Galaxy along with a cameo from a certain Avenger are the only moments with a spark of creativity in this endeavor, and that's utterly tragic for a standalone movie for one of this universe's biggest character. Thor: The Dark World is utter trash, being remarkably unwatchable thanks to its desire to please everyone through its bland blockbuster elements. Easily Marvel's worst release. F

This is the kind of sequel that takes the things that worked in the so-so first movie and instead of improving them it almost ruins them too. Not even the Thor-Loki dynamic can salvage this mess. The villain is an all time bore, his plan even moreso and there's very little to distract you from how flat and boring this entire movie is. The earth parts with Selvig and the interns were supposed to be the comic-relief but they are mostly annoying, Thor's Asgard friends say a few more lines this time around but still zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Natalie Portman's terribly written character from the first movie was also supposed to be more interesting because they injected the mcGuffin the bad guy wants into her but nope, she is still the same nothing character that flips back and forth from science mumbo jumbo to making googly eyes at Thor. You can feel she is not having a great time doing this, and I can't blame her. I dont remember how and if she is written off in later movies or simply forgotten, but it was the best thing to do both for her and the mcu. This character was a bust from the start.

It's not just Jane of course, the entire movie was a total creative bust save some Thor-Loki banter and a funny Captain America cameo. I guess the jumping between worlds final battle was a cool idea too, but they should have had way more fun with it, the execution was almost as flat as everything else.

Also watching this in quick succession with Thor1 and still having Ragnarok fresh in memory really drives home how terrible a king, Odin really is. Protector of the 9 realms my ass.

D.