Plain Old Tele

Dear Mr. Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes documentary) | Nov. 15, 2013

I wish he could at least spend time on the internet answering questions fans have. He just seems like an old, grumpy, douche to me whenever I think of him

Well, look at it from his perspective. He believes the collective works are his answer, and he'd rather enjoy life with his family than spend endless amounts of time answering the same questions over and over. Moreover, he's not trying to have it both ways; he's happy not being a celebrity, and he's turned away literally tens of millions of dollars to avoid corporatizing his characters.

Well, look at it from his perspective. He believes the collective works are his answer, and he'd rather enjoy life with his family than spend endless amounts of time answering the same questions over and over. Moreover, he's not trying to have it both ways; he's happy not being a celebrity, and he's turned away literally tens of millions of dollars to avoid corporatizing his characters.

I suppose, but a shout out to fans at least every year wouldn't hurt.

Yet Snoopy is still adored by millions, even though he was commercialized.

It's always risky to sell your characters to faceless corporations.They could try and keep the characters' dignity or they could squeeze them dry until they no longer resemble their former selves.Snoopy got lucky. Edited by grey ghost

I think when you dillute the market with so many versions of the characters it's easy to overlook and ignore what made it special in the first place.but if people want their Calvin and Hobbes they will be forced to read the timeless comic strips and that's ty he way it should be.

Edited by grey ghost

I think when you dillute the market with so many versions of the characters it's easy to overlook and ignore what made it special in the first place.but if people want their Calvin and Hobbes they will be forced to read the timeless comic strips and that's ty he way it should be.

We need evidence whether or not it's true. :P

Garfield (besides the movies) Is also adored character. Same goes to Daffy, Tweety, Spongebob, Bugs, Mickey, and countless others.Heck, Disney would have taken good care of the characters.

Disney does a horrible job of staying true to original characters. In fact, they're well known for trampling, rebuilding, rebooting, rebranding, and heavily corporatizing much of what they took from original fairy tales or other sources... and then trademarking and copyrighting the entire brand so that others can't do the same.

The creator of Garfield is well known for taking the exact opposite approach of Watterson. He sold the character for as much as he could possibly get, and then hired additional teams of cartoonists to crank out endless swaths of Garfield and Garfield-related items.

I applaud Watterson for staying true to what he believes in, and in his protection of his creation. I wish more people were like him.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3