Plain Old Tele

Dear Mr. Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes documentary) | Nov. 15, 2013

I'm down for just a sincere look at the C&H legacy, TBH.

Even though I read Calvin as a kid, I never FELT like I was reading a kid's comic book. It isn't Looney Tunes or even Garfield in that regard. It's a much more mature, much more.....brilliant piece of work. So I understand Watterson's position fully. 

• Like 3

I'm down for just a sincere look at the C&H legacy, TBH.

Even though I read Calvin as a kid, I never FELT like I was reading a kid's comic book. It isn't Looney Tunes or even Garfield in that regard. It's a much more mature, much more.....brilliant piece of work. So I understand Watterson's position fully. 

And yet, Calvin acts more like a real kid than practically any other comic out there.

• Like 2

Heard that the documentary is just not that great for huge C&H fans. The casual audience may find it better, but there are apparently no new insights into C&H and no extra bits of trivia that most fans don't already know.

The biggest coup any movie now can pull off is actually getting Bill Watterson on camera. Mainly because all other things about C&H are pretty much known by the fans.

Heard that the documentary is just not that great for huge C&H fans. The casual audience may find it better, but there are apparently no new insights into C&H and no extra bits of trivia that most fans don't already know.

The biggest coup any movie now can pull off is actually getting Bill Watterson on camera. Mainly because all other things about C&H are pretty much known by the fans.

In that case, I'll probably like it, since I'd be perfectly happy with 90 minutes of people just talking about how awesome it is. I don't really need any particular insights or trivia (in fact, since I don't know all that much Watterson trivia, most of it'll be new to me.)

Disney does a horrible job of staying true to original characters. In fact, they're well known for trampling, rebuilding, rebooting, rebranding, and heavily corporatizing much of what they took from original fairy tales or other sources... and then trademarking and copyrighting the entire brand so that others can't do the same. The creator of Garfield is well known for taking the exact opposite approach of Watterson. He sold the character for as much as he could possibly get, and then hired additional teams of cartoonists to crank out endless swaths of Garfield and Garfield-related items. I applaud Watterson for staying true to what he believes in, and in his protection of his creation. I wish more people were like him.

I hate the Poochiedification of Disney and WB characters. Kids these days aren't exposed to the classic cartoons that featured these characters or if they are it's a heavily edited version. And look I understand they're not the most politically cartoons, but every kid should get the chance to watch a classic cartoon featuring these characters.

No idea. It's quite possible it's not a great documentary. In fact, it may well be a sincere, enjoyable look at the C&H legacy without actually coming together into anything more. 

Never trust IMDB scores.

Edited by Fancyarcher

I love Calvin and Hobbes too. It's simply amazing.

And for Tarzan: sorry, I'd like a Calvin and Hobbes movie, but if Watterson's against it, then I'm against it. Heck, back in the 80s, the Syndicate's editor got a call from Spielberg asking to talk to Watterson about making a Calvin and Hobbes animated movie. When Spielberg asked to speak to Watterson, Watterson replied "Why would I want to speak to him?" Calvin and Hobbes is essentially Bill Watterson. It is so perfect as a comic, I honestly can't see it being adapted to any other medium.

• Like 1