The Stingray

BOF Top 25 Greatest Horror Movies of All Time (the countdown has started!!)

I'll get this started slowly.

#25:

Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994) - 15 points

Posted Image

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a 1994 slasher metafilm written and directed by original creator Wes Craven, who wrote and directed the original Nightmare on Elm Street film. Although it is the seventh installment of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, it is not part of the series continuity, instead portraying Freddy Krueger as a fictional movie villain who invades the real world and haunts the cast and crew responsible for his films. In this film, Freddy is depicted as closer to what Craven originally intended, being more menacing and less comical, with a greatly updated attire and appearance.

Production Budget: $8,000,000
Domestic Total Gross: $18,090,181
Rotten Tomatoes score: 77%

Trivia:
The "bio-engineered" hand/glove that Freddy uses in this film (as opposed to the glove used in the prior films) is actually derived from the artwork of the theatrical poster and video box covers of A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 3

All right!  One of my faves makes it in.  

Sadly, I won't be able to make it for the presentation Stingray.  It's 10AM here and there's lots to do around the house.  But I'll be checking in from time to time on my phone!

#23:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) - 16 points (tied with Drag Me to Hell)

Posted Image

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is a 1987 American slasher fantasy film directed by Chuck Russell, and is third film in the Nightmare on Elm Street series. Survivors of undead serial killer Freddy Krueger - who stalks his victims in their dreams - learn to take control of their own dreams in order to fight back.

Production Budget: $4,500,000
Domestic Total Gross: $44,793,222
Rotten Tomatoes score: 74%

Trivia:
The original premise of the film involved Freddy invading the real world and haunting the actors and crew responsible for the "Nightmare on Elm Street" films. This idea was rejected by the studio, though Wes Craven later used it for Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

#23:

Drag Me to Hell (2009) - 16 points (tied with A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors)

Posted Image

Drag Me to Hell is a 2009 American horror film co-written and directed by Sam Raimi. The plot focuses on loan officer Christine Brown, who tries to impress her boss by refusing to extend a loan to a gypsy woman by the name of Mrs. Ganush. In retaliation, Ganush places a curse on Christine that, after three days of escalating torment, will plunge her into the depths of Hell to burn for eternity.

Production Budget: $30 million
Domestic Total Gross: $42,100,625
Rotten Tomatoes score: 92%

Trivia:
The license plate of Sylvia Ganush's car is 99951. When it is turned upside-down, it reads IS666.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 3

#22:

Friday the 13th Part III (1982) - 16 points (more #1 spots than A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors & Drag Me to Hell)

Posted Image

Friday the 13th Part III, directed by Steve Miner, is the third film in the Friday the 13th series. This is the first film to feature Jason wearing the signature hockey mask, which has become a trademark. Much like its sequel, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, the film was intended to end the series.

Production Budget: $4,000,000
Domestic Total Gross: $36,690,067
Rotten Tomatoes score: 13%

Trivia:
Actually takes place the day after the events of Part 2, making it Saturday the 14th. While the beginning of the movie takes place on the evening of Saturday the 14th, when the store owner and his wife are killed, the majority of the movie takes place on the following day, making it Sunday the 15th.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

#21:

Scream 2 (1997) - 17 points

Posted Image

Scream 2 is a 1997 American slasher film created and written by Kevin Williamson and directed by Wes Craven, and is the second installment in the Scream film series. Scream 2 takes place two years after Scream and again follows the character of Sidney Prescott, now a student at the fictional Windsor College, who becomes the target of a copycat killer using the guise of Ghostface.

Production Budget: $24 million
Domestic Total Gross: $101,363,301
Rotten Tomatoes score: 81%

Trivia:
In Scream, Dewey asks Sidney, "If they make a movie about you, who's gonna play you?" Sidney answers, "With my luck, they'd cast Tori Spelling." In "Stab," the movie-within-a-movie of Scream 2, Tori Spelling plays Sidney.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 2

#20:

The Evil Dead (1981) - 20 points

Posted Image

The Evil Dead is a 1981 American horror film written and directed by Sam Raimi. The Evil Dead focuses on five college students vacationing in an isolated cabin in a wooded area. After they find an audiotape that releases a legion of demons and spirits, members of the group suffer from demonic possession, leading to increasingly gory mayhem. Raimi and the cast produced the short film Within the Woods as a "prototype" to build the interest of potential investors, which secured Raimi the money to produce The Evil Dead.

Production Budget: $375,000
Domestic Total Gross: $2,400,000
Rotten Tomatoes score: 98%

Trivia:
The original script called for all the characters to be smoking marijuana when they are first listening to the tape. The actors decided to try this for real, and the entire scene had to be later re-shot due to their uncontrollable behavior.

There's a ripped poster of The Hills Have Eyes visible. Ostensibly, this was in reference to a ripped poster for Jaws that appeared in that film; Sam Raimi and the others interpreted that as Wes Craven suggesting that "Hills" was much more frightening than "Jaws," thus they showed a ripped "Hills" poster because their film was to be even scarier yet.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 5

#19:

Eraserhead (1977) - 21 points

Posted Image

Eraserhead is a 1977 surrealist body horror film written and directed by American filmmaker David Lynch. Shot in black-and-white, Eraserhead is Lynch's first feature-length film. It tells the story of Henry Spencer, who is left to care for his grossly deformed child in a desolate industrial landscape. Throughout the film, Spencer experiences dreams or hallucinations, featuring his child and the Lady in the Radiator.

Production Budget: $100,000
Domestic Total Gross: $7,000,000
Rotten Tomatoes score: 91%

Trivia:
David Lynch had a lot of trouble getting financial assistance from the AFI, because the script was only 20 pages long. He received a grant from AFI but after about 3 years of production, ran out of money. At one point Terrence Malick screened the film for a potential financial backer, who walked out, calling the movie "bullshit".

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 6

#18:

The Fly (1986) - 22 points

Posted Image

The Fly is a 1986 American science fiction horror film directed and co-written by David Cronenberg. It is based loosely on George Langelaan's 1957 short story "The Fly", which also formed the basis for the 1958 film The Fly. The Fly tells the story of a brilliant but eccentric scientist who begins to transform into a giant man/fly hybrid after one of his experiments goes horribly wrong.

Production Budget: $15,000,000
Domestic Total Gross: $40,456,565
Academy Award Nominations/Wins: 1/1
Rotten Tomatoes score: 91%

Trivia:
The line, "I'm saying I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it, but now that dream is over and the insect is awake," is a reference to author Franz Kafka's 1912 story "The Metamorphosis," in which a man wakes from a nightmare to find himself transformed into a giant insect.

Originally, David Cronenberg turned down the film because of scheduling conflicts with the shooting of Total Recall for Dino De Laurentiis. The producers then hired Robert Bierman; unfortunately, Bierman experienced a terrible family tragedy just prior to the beginning of production and decided he couldn't make such a dark film. At about the same time, Cronenberg realized that he and De Laurentis were not seeing eye to eye on Total Recall and backed out, leaving him free to direct this film. Bierman has since stated that he has never seen the film, as it brings back bad memories and he does not want his own vision of it compromised.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 5

It's cool with me. I'm not a fan of the Evil Deads. :)

The first one is kinda meh for me, without the context of it being a horror classic its not that impressive imho. 

Evil Dead II on the other hand..

Edited by Jack Nevada

#17:

Evil Dead II (1987) - 24 points

Posted Image

Evil Dead II is a 1987 American comedy horror film directed by Sam Raimi and a sequel to the 1981 film The Evil Dead. In the film, the lone survivor of an onslaught of flesh-possessing spirits holds up in a cabin with a group of strangers while the demons continue their attack.

Production Budget: $3,600,000
Domestic Total Gross: $5,923,044
Rotten Tomatoes score: 98%

Trivia:
The recap of Evil Dead includes a shot where the "evil force" runs through the cabin and rams into Ash. When this shot was filmed, Bruce Campbell suffered a broken jaw when Sam Raimi (who was operating the camera) crashed into him with a bicycle - or so people were led to believe. This was a story concocted by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell as a gag to see how many people would believe it actually happened.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 6