Homefront (2013)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of my favourites of the year.  I was quite tense throughout and that can be attested to a good script, great acting by everyone and tight direction.  I can't believe that was Kate Bosworth in the film.  She reminded me a bit of Matt Damon in Courage Under Fire.  She is already a petite woman, but she must have lost about 15 pounds here to play the heroine addicted, redneck, foul mouthed villianess.  I was mesmerized by her every time she was on screen.

And here's the best part of the movie.  Almost every character in here is painted in grey.  There are good sides to them and bad sides.  I like how you start off hating Bosworth and her husband and even the sheriff but in the end, they are just people making stupid decisions, and not the true evil you think they are at the beginning.

Homefront is one of the better films I've seen this year.  It won't make my top ten, but it will make my top 20.

8.5/10

Changing my grade to a 9/10.  Saw again last night and I'm in love with this film.  There's so much to like about it.  My brother loved it too.  Too bad it won't find much of an audience at the theater because it is one of the better films I've seen this year.

Okay Baumer, you convinced me to give it a try and you're on the mark, it's a great movie.  Statham is always best as part of an ensemble and quite the cast they pulled together here.  Pleasantly surprised to see Clancy Brown and Winona turn up and even the two kid actors (they frequently break immersion for me) were spot-on.  Really nice bullying by the redneck kid up front with some genuine fearful/little kid behavior later and the girl playing Statham's daughter was great.  I have a 9.5yr old girl and that's exactly how our conversations go when our house is under assault by heavily armed bikers.

Above all, I think the director surprised me the most.  Wasn't expecting much given his resume, but great framing with a nice mix of tight and wide shots, good pacing, and he got some really solid performances from the cast. Glad I gave this one a try (Thanks, Baumer!) and pity that it's tanking so badly at the box office.  Hopefully it'll find a niche on home video.

A-

• Like 1

Glad you liked it Biff.  And yes, the cast in this is quite good.  Brown has always been one of my faves (he was terrific in Walter Hill's Extreme Prejudice) and Winona was in this because of her Stallone connection (Get Carter).  The young girl in this was sensational as well.  I think you are right, this will find an audience at home.