rukaio101

The Top 20 Cartoons Result Thread

Since Tarzan apparently hadn’t realised that, if you want to create a list, you have to actually be willing to put in some effort and count up votes properly (and create a full list of 20), I’ve decided to step in and host this instead. After all, who better is there to host this, than I, the host of the magnificent Anime Recommendation and Discussion Thread, where anyone who wants to dip their feet into the infinite realms and possibilities of anime (with plenty for adults) should start looking. (Sorry, had to get that obligatory plug out of the way). Especially since I’m certain BOF has a large number of anime lovers who will almost certainly have highly voted the highest quality-

Sorry, what? Only a few people voted for anime?

There’s only one anime (technically) in the top 20? It only barely took the 19th spot thanks to me cheating and counting draws as just one entry?

Anti-depressants have doubled in price?

I’m not going to enjoy this, am I?  

Well, armed with the finest bottle of whisky that gutter change can buy, let’s take a look at BOF’s Top 20(ish) Best Cartoons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtOPacnjxLU

Disclaimer: Most of my following commentary is almost entirely for comedy. I don’t hate you all most of you some of you you entirely… Try not to get too offended.

• Like 5

Final Results

1. The Simpsons- 175

2. South Park- 146

3. Batman: The Animated series- 138

4. Avatar: The Last Airbender- 104

5. X-Men: The Animated series- 103

6. Futuruma- 84

7. Ducktales- 79

8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- 76

9. Avengers: EMH- 70

10. Animaniacs/Transformers- 62

11. Gargoyles- 60

12. SpongeBob Squarepants- 59

13. Family Guy/Thundercats- 58

14. G. I. Joe 50

15. Justice League/Unlimited 47

16. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 41

17. Phineas And Ferb 40

18. The Powerpuff Girls/American Dad 35

19. Cowboy Bebop/Rugrats 33

20. Batman Beyond 32

21. Archer- 29

22. Robot Chicken- 27

23. Spider-man(90's)/The Tick/Voltron- 26

24. Hey Arnold!- 25

25. Samurai Champloo /Dexter's Laboratory- 24

26. Darkwing Duck- 23

27. The Fairly OddParents/Postman Pat/Aladdin the Animated Series/Transformers: BW- 22

28. Neon Genesis Evangelion/Doug- 21

29. Fullmetal Alchemist(Regular+Brotherhood)/Baccano- 20

30. Talespin/The Secret Saturdays/Legend of Korra/My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic/King of the Hill- 19

31. Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show/The Flintstones/Pokemon/Beavis and Butthead/Space Goofs- 18

32. Thomas the Tank Engine/Gravity Falls/Horrid Henry/DBZ/The Spectacular Spider-Man- 17

33. Back At The Barnyard/Sym-Bionic Titan/Trigun/Batman: The Brave and the Bold- 16

34. Mushishi/Bionic Six/Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated/Danny Phantom/Scooby Doo /Bobs burgers/Histeria-15

35. Star Wars: Clone Wars/Death Note/Hector's House- 14

36. FLCL- 13

37. Inspector Gadget/God, The devil and Bob /Pingu/The Zeta Project/Bravest Warriors/Arthur- 12

38. 64 Zoo Lane/Superman: The Animated Series/M.A.S.K/Durarara/Rocko's Modern Life- 11

39. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers/Charlie And Lola/Alvin and the Chipmunks/Planetes/Tiny Toons Adventures/Recess- 10

40. Andy Pandy/Samurai Jack/The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh/Wacky Races- 9

41. The Boondocks/Swat Kats/The Care Bears/Digimon Tamers/Ren and Stimpy- 8

42. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann/C.O.P.S./Top Cat/Dino-Riders/Tron Uprising- 7

43. Challenge of the Superfriends/Clifford The Big Red Dog/The Jetsons/Dennis the Menace/Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex/Gummy Bears- 6

44. Freakazoid/Shaun The Sheep- 5

45. Fireman Sam/Robot Chicken/Gintama /Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids/Captain Planet/The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius /Johnny Quest (90's)/Jackie Chan Adventures- 4

46. Total Drama/X-Men Evolution/Hulk Hogan’s Rock N Wrestling/Bamboo Blade/Invader Zim/Adventure Time/Bananaman/Tweenies/Yu Gi Oh- 3

47. Pocoyo/Incredible Hulk (80s)/Tiger & Bunny/Attack on Titan/Super Friends/Jem and the Holograms- 2

48. Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines/Kim Possible/Bill And Ben [the flowerpot men]/Johnny Bravo- 1

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 2

20. Batman Beyond- 32 points

Posted Image

Let’s face it, the premise for this show sounds ridiculous. Super, Sci-Fi, Future Batman? How silly. But, if anyone could make it work, it’s the guys who did B:TAS. And goddamn do they make it work. New hero, new villains, new technology, everything about this show is great. It may not entirely live up to its parent series, but it comes close and that’s damn impressive.  

Interesting Fact: Simply wearing a Batman suit increases penis length by 10 inches. Even for women.

Interesting, but True Fact: Unlike other Superhero shows, Batman Beyond is entirely original and not based on any previously existing comic. Comics have been made based on it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlobFExM-UM

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 3

19. (Draw) Cowboy Bebop- 33 Points

Posted Image

Ah, Cowboy Bebop. One of the classics of anime, animation, heck media as a whole. The story of a group of Bounty Hunters in the future just struggling to get by as their pasts begin to catch up with them is dark, deep and almost poetic. The smooth, jazzy score. The beautiful, stylistic animation. The 3-Dimensional (metaphorically) characters. This isn’t just a show, it’s an experience. And a magnificent one to boot.

Interesting Fact: Cowboy Bebop is better than a Crystal Meth Ice Cream Sandwich served on a solid gold piece of bacon.

Interesting, but True Fact: The second highest anime on the list, Samurai Champloo (25th), was directed by the same person who directed this.

Other Interesting, but True Fact: Yes, anime have directors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zDfxZ4NcE

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 4

19. (Draw) Rugrats- 33 Points

Posted Image

Well, considering how great Cowboy Bebop is, I can’t wait to see the show you all decided was equal in value to i- It’s Rugrats, isn’t it?

Okay, that’s a bit harsh. I enjoyed Rugrats when I was growing up. Heck, I have really good memories of watching the first two movies. And, were it not going up against the classic that is Cowboy Bebop, I would probably have a lot nicer things to say about it. It’s a cute little show though. And the way the babies see the world can be kinda funny I guess.  So yeah. Rugrats. Whoo.

Interesting Fact: If you look at RUGRATS in the mirror, it actually says ‘How the hell did this tie with Cowboy Bebop?’ in the reflection.

Interesting but True Fact: Rugrats in Paris has a higher RT score than The Butler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1NVdxGOW-Q

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

18. (Draw) The Powerpuff Girls- 35 Points

Posted Image

And

18. American Dad- 35 Points

Posted Image

Okay, I’m putting these two together because…. I haven’t really watched either of them … at all. (aside from a few episodes of Powerpuff Girls when I was a kid.) But I suppose like God says (although I lost faith in him after doing this list), ‘they’re here for a reason’.  And what I saw of Powerpuff Girls was definitely good. And I’m sure American Dad is too.

Interesting Fact: One of these programs predicts the End of Times while the other will cause you to murder your relatives. I’m not going to tell you which is which.

Interesting, but True Fact: The man behind Powerpuff Girls, Craig McCracken, also created Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. And he’s married to Lauren Faust of My Little Pony Fame.

Other Interesting, but True Fact: The voice of Hayley Smith is actually Seth MacFarlane’s younger sister, Rachael. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8HdpBXLVYk

Couldn't find a copy of American Dad's opening which didn't look awful (quality-wise).

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

17. Phineas and Ferb- 40 Points

Posted Image

While I’d mostly grown out of children shows by the time this started airing, I saw a few episodes one time and I have to admit I can completely understand why this show is here. Not only is it funny, it’s really funny. And the songs are just great. It’s especially impressive that they can come up with one every episode. It's almost a disappointment I just have to put the show's opening theme below.

Interesting Fact: Phineas’s face is sharp enough to gouge out someone’s eye.

Interesting, but True Fact: Originally, there wasn’t going to be a song every episode, but executives loved the song ‘Gitchee Gitchee Goo’ so much that they insisted they put a new song in every episode. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoFERECnYno

• Like 2

16. He-Man and the Masters of the Universe- 41 Points

Posted Image

What can I say about He-Man except <insert gay joke here>? Seriously though, I’m sure He-Man was a large part (*snigger*) of all our childhoods. Hell, I can even remember watching his show when I was a kid, even if I can’t remember anything about it. But I still remember enjoying a lot. So congratulations to He-Man for not only being a great show but also for supplying the punchline to every gay joke since 1983.

Interesting Fact: Grayskull is a euphemism for something. I won’t ruin your fun by telling you what.

Interesting, but True Fact: Master of the Universe had early scriptwork from J. Michael Straczynski (of comics, Babylon 5 and The Real Ghostbusters fame), Paul Dini and Brynne Stephens, (who both went on to write acclaimed episodes of B:TAS), Larry DiTillio (Story Editor for Transformers; Beast Wars) and David Wise (head writer of the 1980’s TMNT)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeA7a0uS3A

• Like 3

15. Justice League + Justice League Unlimited- 47 Points

Posted Image

Ah, DC Animated Universe. You put the DC Cinematic Universe to so much shame. And nothing shows it more than the crown that is Justice League and its sequel, Justice League Unlimited. Well, except Batman: The Animated Series, but I’ll get to that later. Not only to we get interesting looks at oft-forgotten characters in the DC Universe, we have some great storylines and animation to go with it.

Interesting Fact: Man of Steel has wet dreams about being this show.

Interesting but True Fact: The Justice League Unlimited episode ‘For the Man Who has Everything’ is one of the only two adaptations of his work, famed comic writer Alan Moore (behind Watchmen and V for Vendetta) is happy with. (The other being Saturday Morning Watchmen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-GAxE6RD4

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 2

Thanks Rukaio also.. .King Kong is a good host too by the way :).. But you seem to have lots experience with these lists..So wait the toons have already been put in? I thought we were submitting list then we do a tally. Also I love Batman Beyond :)

First time doing this kind of list, actually. Also, entries were submitted a while back in Tarzan's Top 20 Cartoons Thread. So submissions are now closed and I'm now posting the results..

14. G.I. Joe- 50 Points

Posted Image

Ah, G.I Joe. A Real (kinda) American Hero! With his Americaness..... Did I mention I’m British? We didn’t really get this show. From what I can tell though, it was the definitive action soldier cartoon. And, if I know kids, I know they love the violence and guns. Good thing us adults have grown out of that. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go watch this marathon of Tarantino films.

Interesting Fact: The G.I  stands for Genius Ice-Cream-Maker.

Interesting, but True Fact: Duke was originally planned to be killed off in the GI Joe movie, inspiring the creators of Transformers to do the same with Optimus Prime in their movie first. However, the negative reaction to Optimus’s death convinced the creators of GI Joe to merely leave Duke in a coma instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y69A6hL7TX0

• Like 2

13 (Draw) Thundercats- 58 Points

Posted Image

Good old, Thundercats… with their Thunder…. And their Catting…. Okay, we didn’t really get this show over in Britain either or, if we did, it was way before my time. But it seems to have a pretty strong fanbase over here, considering how many lists I saw it on. And there’s no denying the theme song is pretty awesome.

Interesting Fact: Lion-O and Ronald McDonald are related. Don’t ask me how.

Interesting, but True Fact: The Animators behind this show later went on to join Studio Ghibli.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGNqrAtsgg

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 3

13. (Draw) Family Guy

Posted Image

For a moment it looked like this might not make it onto the list, but it came certainly came through, didn’t it? Yup. Definitely….. Okay, I’m one of the people who doesn’t really like this show, but there’s no denying it’s had an big effect on a lot of people. Sure it has more pointless cutaways than a scissors factory and the references become dated so quickly, they’re pretty much old 5 seconds after their first airing but- No no, I need to compliment this series! Compliment! 

Uh…. It was cancelled by FOX once. That has to be a compliment.

Interesting Fact: Contrary to South Park’s claims, the jokes in Family Guy are not written by Manatees, they’re written by a rare species of fire ant.

Interesting, but True Fact: A crossover episode with The Simpsons is planned to air in Fall 2014.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGoQjXuovY

Edited by rukaio101

12. Spongebob Squarepants- 59 Points

Posted Image

I don’t know what to say about this show. If you had told me 10 years ago that a show about an anthropomorphic talking sponge would’ve become so famous and ingrained in public consciousness, I would’ve said ‘Well, duh!’ since Spongbob started airing in 1999. Try telling me 15 years ago instead.

But yeah, it’s a good show with memorable characters, funny humour and a surprisingly good feature film made from it.

Interesting Fact: Early ideas for the show were a much more surreal, dark, Lynchian universe that explored the ideas of the human psyche. Patrick would’ve remained unchanged.

Interesting but True Fact: In order to film the  scenes on his back for the movie, a large bust of David Hasselhoff was commissioned, as seen below. Happy Nightmares.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ZHKf0FUBA

Could find a copy of the opening, so the theme song will have to do.

• Like 4