rukaio101

Box Office.com's Alphabet Book of Good Movies (A-Z Results Thread)

M is for Matrix (21 Points- 6 Votes)

Posted Image

My my my, this (a)mazing muddle of a motion picture mentioning Matrixes, Morpheus and many many mutilations. Well, okay, not that many. Anyway, a revolutionary film that popularised the use of effects like bullet time and slow mo, the Wachowski’s action-filled master piece certainly deserves its place here.

Runners Up

2. Memento: 14 Points- 5 Votes

3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 10 Points-4  Votes

4. Mulholland Drive (2 Votes)/Men in Black (2 Votes)/ Mean Girls (3 Votes): 6 Points

• Like 4

N is for No Country for Old Men (30 Points- 12 Votes)

Posted Image

Never in my naivest (k)nown nightmares could I not see how this neat, nasty film narrowly neuters its newcoming…. other films. But seriously though. It says something about this film that, it’s easily one of the most commonly voted films in this entire list, without even being in a small group like U or Z. While it didn’t come first on many lists, the fact that it appeared so often shows just how respected the film is.   

Runners Up

2. North by Northwest/ Network: 15 Points- 5 Votes

3. A Nightmare on Elm Street: 10 Points- 3 Votes

4. Never Let Me Go: 7 Points- 2 Votes

• Like 7

O is for Once Upon a Time in the West (26 Points- 8 Votes)

Posted Image

This original (kinda), optimal, often overlooked oldster obvious outmatched its other opponents. Considered by many to be his greatest Western, Sergio Leone really outdid himself with this tale of murder, revenge and guns. With Henry Fonda in one of his greatest and most unexpected roles, is it any wonder this film is so beloved?

Runners Up

2. One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest (6 Votes)/ Ocean’s 11 (5 Votes): 15 Points

3. Oldboy: 9 Points- 3 Votes

4. O Brother Where Art Thou: 7 Points- 3 Votes

• Like 5

P is for Pulp Fiction (20 Points- 6 Votes)

Posted Image

Peppered with pure pieces of punkish….. pineapples (I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore), this is Tarantino’s third entry on this list and is widely considered his best. It’s easy to see why. Incredibly quotable and rewatchable, this movie has left its mark on popular culture.

Runners Up

2. Pan’s Labyrinth: 14 Points- 5 Votes

3. The Prestige:  12 Points- 4 Votes

4. Princess Mononoke: 8 Points- 3 Votes

• Like 6

Q is for Queen (19 Points- 6 Votes)

Posted Image

The quintessal queen flick, this…. only really won because there are a ridiculously few number of good films beginning with Q. Seriously, Quantum of Solace looked like it was going to win at one point. Quantum of fucking Solace!

Runners Up

2. Quiz Show: 12 Points- 4 Votes

3. Quantum of fucking Solace: 11 Points- 4 Votes

4. The Quick and the Dead: 10 Points- 3 Votes

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 4

R is for Raiders of the Lost Ark (27 Points- 8 Votes)

Posted Image

Everyone saw this coming, didn’t they? Good. Because I can’t be bothered to do an all-R sentence.

Runners Up

2. Rear Window: 16 Points- 5 Votes

3. Rocky: 8 Points- 3Votes

4. Ran (2 Votes)/ Ratatouille (3 Votes)/ Reservoir Dogs (2 Votes): 7 Points

• Like 8

S is for Schindler’s List (16 Points- 5 Votes)

Posted Image

Surprise! ‘S’not Star Wars! Spielberg’s dark Holocaust drama beat Box Office’s favourite film, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, to very deservedly win this slot.

Runners Up

2. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: 14 Points- 5 Votes

3. The Shawshank Redemption: 12 Points- 4 Votes

4. Se7en: 11 Points- 4 Votes

• Like 4

T is for There will be Blood (14 Points- 5 Votes)

Posted Image

To think that this thunderous, thoughtful talk about the trip into terrible things took the T spot in this timeless list. Paul Thomas Anderson’s classic about greed, corruption and milkshakes helped  Daniel Day-Lewis win another well-deserved Oscar and prompted discussions around the world about the nature of greed.

Also, I will not make any rude comments about that poster and I don't think you should either.

Runners Up

2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day: 13 Points-4 Votes

3. Titanic: 12 Points- 4 Votes

4. The Terminator: 11 Points- 4 Votes

• Like 6

U is for Usual Suspects (29 Points- 9 Votes)

Posted Image

I’m not even going to bother trying a sentence with this one. The Usual Suspects is a fantastic film with one of the greatest and game-changing twists in movie history. Each of the characters brings a life of their own to the proceedings and entirely film takes on a new meaning once you consider the ending.

Runners Up

2. Up: 22 Points- 6 Votes

3. The Untouchables: 15 Points- 6 Votes

4. United 93: 14 Points- 5 Votes

• Like 5

V is for V for Vendetta (I think that makes sense) (37 Points- 11 Votes)

Posted Image

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

God, I’ve been wanting to say that all day.

Runners Up

2. Vertigo: 29 Points- 6 Votes

3. Vanilla Sky: 9 Points- 3 Votes

4. Valkyrie: 8 Points- 2 Votes

• Like 2

V is for V for Vendetta (I think that makes sense) (37 Points- 11 Votes)

Posted Image

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

God, I’ve been wanting to say that all day.

Runners Up

2. Vertigo: 29 Points- 6 Votes

3. Vanilla Sky: 9 Points- 3 Votes

4. Valkyrie: 8 Points- 2 Votes

Oh, this was more in line with what I was expecting from this list.

• Like 2

W is for WALL-E  (23 Points- 7 Votes)

Posted Image

Wonderfully weird and…. wonderful, this well-loved…. watchable… Okay, I give up with this. WALL-E is a movie more than worthy of the Pixar name and this place on the list.

Runners Up

2. The Wizard of Oz: 13 Points- 4 Votes

3. Warrior/War of the Worlds/ Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Wererabbit/The Wild Bunch: 6 Points- 2 Votes

4. Where the Wild Things Are/Wreck it Ralph: 5 Points- 2 Votes 

• Like 4

X is for X-Men 2 (33 Points- 9 Votes)

Posted Image

I’m going to give up on the sentences containing lots of words beginning with <insert letter> for the rest of the entries on this list for obvious reasons involving my sanity. Anyway, X-Men won because there are only about 10 films beginning with X and 6 of them are part of the X-Men franchise. Not to say it's a bad film though. Just the only one beginning with X. Moving on...

Runners Up

2. X-Men: First Class: 31 Points- 8 Votes

3. X-Men: 15 Points- 7 Votes

4. X-Men: The Last Stand: 4 Points- 2 Votes

• Like 2

Y is for Young Frankenstein (22  Points- 7 Votes)

Posted Image

The only straight comedy  film to make it onto the list (and the only Mel Brooks film to be voted for by anyone who wasn’t me), this is considered one of his best and is a fine sendoff of to the classic monster movies. Modern day ‘parodists’ (pretty sure that's not a word) could learn a lot from this movie. Although, to be honest, they could learn a lot from anyone who’s even slightly comedic. So I guess it’s true that they don’t make them like this any more.

Runners Up

2. Y Tu Mama Tambien: 21 Points- 6 Votes

3. Yes Man: 13 Points- 4 Votes

4. Yojimbo: 11 Points- 4 Votes

• Like 3

Z is for Zodiac (39 Points- 12 Votes)

Posted Image

And we finish our list with the highest scoring entry in the entire game. By virtue of not only being one of the only films beginning with Z but also good enough that people don’t feel too guilty about putting it on their list, David Fincher’s tale of the Zodiac killer obviously captured our hearts just enough to say ‘That begins with Z, doesn’t it? Yeah, I guess I’ll put down’.

Runners Up

2. Zero dark Thirty: 20 Points- 6 Votes

3. Zombieland: 19 Points- 6 Votes

4. Zoolander: 14 Points- 6 Votes

• Like 6

So, that's the end. I hope you enjoyed Story Time today and- What? That was awful? Well tough.

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who voted. I'll post a list of winners on the front page some time later.