baumer

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

35 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Funny in a way but very cynic. It's always difficult having an asshole as your protagonist. I liked the cinematography, the darkness and muted colours removing the story from our everyday experience, more like a twisted dream. A dream (rather than a portrait) of the 60s.

Acting was superb. We share our home with twoandsome cats and I know how difficult it is getting the furry fuckers to hold still for a single photo let alone a cinematic take ... the singer guy was good too.

I never got invested into Llewyn. I never got the sense that he was striving for anything or had anything possibly happening for him. The only part of the movie I followed was the stupid fucking cat. I latched onto that as it was the only thing of any real importance.

I have to believe the directors objective was to show a struggling musician with high hopes never quite obtaining his goal ... but it remains subdued and uninspired, just like the main character.

I had to go and read about the person the film was based on to get an idea of the man's life and it was more interested reading the wiki article than watching this film.

This film was good for one thing though ... I put the movie on for my parents because it was listed as a movie good for older folks due to it's setting. Sure enough, my parents were constantly commenting ... Oh dear, do you remember those heaters, I use to have one just like it ... Do you remember that wallpaper ... what kind of cars are those ... it was more a trip down memory lane it seemed. My parents did no love the movie and did not hate it, but the movie will be forgotten.

That segment in the car wasn't my favorite, but everything else was wonderful. Who knew this would be one of the rare cases where the Coens humor would actually work for me. Llewyn Davis might be the strongest, most well-realized character in their filmography.  

I see myself revisiting this more than any other Coen movie in the future.

Barton Fink 95/100
No Country for Old Men 85/100
True Grit 80/100
Intolerable Cruelty 80/100
Fargo 75/100
The Man Who Wasn't There 70/100
Blood Simple 70/100
Raising Arizona 65/100
The Hudsucker Proxy 65/100
A Serious Man 60/100
The Big Lebowski 55/100
Miller's Crossing 55/100