6 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Stand By Me

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Biggest one in four counties.Perhaps this is a personal bias because I had friends like this when I was 12, but having said that this is one of the best films I have ever seen and it hits every chord perfectly.There were four of us that were friends and we were known as the Stand By Me Crew. Mike, Gary, Andy and myself were inseparable. And as this film prophesizes correctly, the group has since split up and now I am only good friends with one of them. This movie makes you remember what it was like to have friends when you were 12 and it makes you glad that they were there when they were.The story involves these four kids going on a weekend hike to find a dead kid that apparently got hit by a train. Now if that is all the movie was about, it would probably be pretty boring. But this film explores the fears and anxieties of what it was like to be 12 again. Twelve year olds deal with a plethora of issues and it is not often that adults listen to what kids have to say or see what they deal with. But this film is honest about it's assessment of how they feel.The four boys are played brilliantly by Wil Wheaton, Jerry O'ConnellCoosh from Jerry Maguire ), Corey Feldman and River Phoenix. The story moves along and hits a nerve because of the life that these four actors brings to their characters. There is a real sense of comrarderie between the four of them. But ultimately it is Phoenix that brings the most life to his character and I would say that the milk money scene with him and Gordie (Wheaton) is one of the more touching and poignant scenes ever filmed.What Stand By Me does is brings you back to a time when friendship was more pure and innocent and meant more. You can't help but get caught up in the nostalgia. Perhaps this film means more to me for personal reasons ( as I've already stated ) but it is a wonderful film and it should be enjoyed by everyone.The last line of the movie is so true. Do we really ever have friends as good as the ones when we were twelve? I doubt it.10/10

The last line of the movie is so true. Do we really ever have friends as good as the ones when we were twelve? I doubt it.+ 10000000Fantastic movie about frendship. havent seen it for years..maybe its time again9/10

This decade has been missing the good ole fashion teen bonding films that were so rapant in the 80's and 90's. I loved them, and it's one of the reasons Super 8 is so high on my list.

QFMFT