baumer

What role or roles made them famous?

No they haven't. The point is you can't just pick an arbitrary actor and say that he wouldn't be big in today's climate. It's an obvious statement. Times change, it never stays stagnant. Do you really think films like The Godfather or Back to the Future or The Exorcist would be big today? Of course not, but the point is, these films and these actors hit a certain zeitgeist when they were out and because of this, we have some of what we have today. And you can never take that away from them.

Slightly off topic, but I think behind Star Wars, Back To The Future seems to be the most relevant franchise from that era today. Lots of people talking about it still, especially in my age group, and the 30th anniversary next year is looking like it could become a pretty big event.
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic, but I think behind Star Wars, Back To The Future seems to be the most relevant franchise from that era today. Lots of people talking about it still, especially in my age group, and the 30th anniversary next year is looking like it could become a pretty big event.

Indy?

But in terms of popularity the 80s Indy trilogy dwarfs pretty much everything. Or do you mean since it's technically no longer a trilogy it doesn't count?

It's more that the good will indy had originally has been blighted in many people's eyes Thanks to a recent disappointing sequel. While BTTF 2 and 3 weren't anywhere near as good, that sting isn't felt so badly anymore.

It's more that the good will indy had originally has been blighted in many people's eyes Thanks to a recent disappointing sequel. While BTTF 2 and 3 weren't anywhere near as good, that sting isn't felt so badly anymore.

Well, I'd argue that the original Indy trilogy is still beloved and stronger than ever, even if people didn't care for the fourth film. The vast, vast majority of BTTF love is aimed at the original movie.

You're way off man, way off! His first 5 movies are uniformly excellent. And then it was downhill.

Tele's Seagal List:

1. Above the Law (really good)

2. Under Siege (really good)

3. Hard to Kill (pretty good)

4. Marked for Death (not so good)

5. Out for Justice (pretty bad)

btw, who wrote his IMDB bio, his publicist? Or did he do it himself?

"Steven Seagal is a striking and somewhat boyishly handsome looking (often with ponytail) and usually impeccably dressed action star..."

:rofl:

• Like 1

btw, who wrote his IMDB bio, his publicist? Or did he do it himself?

"Steven Seagal is a striking and somewhat boyishly handsome looking (often with ponytail) and usually impeccably dressed action star..."

:rofl:

Not sure why that statement is emoticon-worthy. Whoever wrote it, it's all pretty accurate.

No love for his Magnum Opus, his Chapelle Sixtine, his Joconda, his philosophical-philanthropist-ecological manifest to kick shady oil's corporates asses, I shall write thy name in brazen letters: On Deadly Ground?! :(

I prefer Fire Down Below. Don't remember all that much from On Deadly Ground tbh.

Not sure why that statement is emoticon-worthy. Whoever wrote it, it's all pretty accurate.

It's written like the opening of a junior high paper, not to mention it's focusing (somewhat stalker-ishly) on minor and relatively immaterial physical attributes.

For example, here's Chuck Norris's:

"Chuck Norris is an Executive Producer of Walker, Texas Ranger (1993) as well as the star. Norris is familiar to fans worldwide as the star of action films such as The Hitman (1991), The Delta Force (1986) and Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection (1990)."

Bruce Lee: "Bruce Lee remains the greatest icon of martial arts cinema and a key figure of modern popular media. Had it not been for Bruce Lee and his movies in the early 1970s, it's arguable whether or not the martial arts film genre would have ever penetrated and influenced mainstream North American and European cinema..."

Dolph Lundgren: "Dolph Lundgren was born in Stockholm and lived there until the age of 13, when he moved to his grandparents in Nyland, Ångermanland, Sweden."

Arnold: "Arnold Schwarzenegger is an Austrian/American actor, politician and businessman who started his career out as a weight-lifter."

Straightforward, matter of fact, sensible. Only Seagal's sounds like it was written by a 14-year-old fangirl. (Or a vain, preening star desperate to polish his stardom.)

• Like 1

It's written like the opening of a junior high paper, not to mention it's focusing (somewhat stalker-ishly) on minor and relatively immaterial physical attributes.

Only Seagal's sounds like it was written by a 14-year-old fangirl. (Or a vain, preening star desperate to polish his stardom.) - This part is uncalled for

I agree that it sounds that way, but that doesn't make it any less true. :)

On a more serious note, someone has a machete to your throat and you have to choose: The Third Man or Touch of Evil. What do you choose?

I prefer Fire Down Below. Don't remember all that much from On Deadly Ground tbh.

Don't tell me you don't remember that great quote about Forrest Taft:

My guy in D.C. tells me that we are not dealing with a student here, we're dealing with the Professor. Any time the military has an operation that can't fail, they call this guy in to train the troops, OK? He's the kind of guy that would drink a gallon of gasoline so he could piss in your campfire! You could drop this guy off at the Arctic Circle wearing a pair of bikini underwear, without his toothbrush, and tomorrow afternoon he's going to show up at your pool side with a million dollar smile and fist full of pesos. This guy's a professional, you got me? If he reaches this rig, we're all gonna be nothing but a big goddamned hole right in the middle of Alaska. So let's go find him and kill him and get rid of the son of a bitch!

I remember watching this movie with my dad (who was a huge Seagal fan back in the day), we cracked up when that guy said that line, I think my dad even rewinded the tape so we could enjoy it again. :D

However, when we watched Fire Down Below we thought it was boring as hell. All went downhill since then.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

No love for his Magnum Opus, his Chapelle Sixtine, his Joconda, his philosophical-philanthropist-ecological manifest to kick shady oil's corporates asses, I shall write thy name in brazen letters: On Deadly Ground?! :(

On Deadly Ground is a lot better than people give it credit for and it's about as ballsy a movie as they come.  It says things about as controversial as JFK did.  But it was basically ignored so no one really paid attention to what it had to say.  I love the message in the movie and I give Seagal full credit for having the cahones to say what he said.

• Like 1