rukaio101

CAYOM - Classic + Community Franchise List

Since I've been having a bit of an issue sorting this stuff on the Franchise by Rights thread, I thought it worthwhile we made a master list of Community and Classic Franchises in CAYOM. For those who can't be bothered to look at the rules in Franchise by Rights thread, let's post a brief reminder as to what Community/Classic Franchises are.

Community Franchises are major franchises available to the community (duh). They usually have a large series of films in their library and most (though not all) of their installments are stand-alone features. If one player grabs the rights to one of these franchises, they have their rights to make a few films (with their own actors, directors etc,) before the rights return to the community for someone else to take over.

Classic Franchises are the golden calf franchises that shouldn't be touched with a bargepole by our unclean hands. So they're off limits entirely. Either because they're just too classic to touch, or because there's really not many other different paths you can take them. 

You can nominate any franchise for placement in either list. If you object to the placement of a certain franchise in one of the lists, state so, along with your reasoning, and it'll be discussed/voted on.

Classic Franchises 

[*]Indiana Jones [*]Jurassic Park [*]The entire Disney Animated Canon [*]The entire Ghibli Animated Canon [*]Harry Potter [*]Lord of the Rings [*]Twilight (Yes, I hate calling it a 'classic' as well)

Community Franchises

[*]Star Wars (Post OT) [*]Star Trek (Picard era onwards) [*]Friday the 13th [*]Nightmare on Elm Street [*]Halloween [*]James Bond [*]Transformers (?)

Edited by Za Rukaio!

Just edit Star Wars to have the era from the PT through whenever the ST takes place blocked off (like the Kirk era for Star Trek being blocked off while the prequel Enterprise Era and the Picard era onward are open)

Edited by Numbers of House Stark

Jackass is not a "classic" franchise but it's still an ongoing franchise so it's best left prohibited for now.

I feel bad for Blank. Once the Nolanverse ended Batman would have been available for his DC universe probably by the end of last year (to give some separation time) but WB just had to throw Batfleck into Man of Steel 2.

• Like 1

Jackass is not a "classic" franchise but it's still an ongoing franchise so it's best left prohibited for now.

I feel bad for Blank. Once the Nolanverse ended Batman would have been available for his DC universe probably by the end of last year (to give some separation time) but WB just had to throw Batfleck into Man of Steel 2.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to continue my DC universe. :P It's fun to do make the money from it, but ultimately writing it stifles creativity a lot. :/

I think the marvel universe should be put in community franchises so anyone can do them but they should be based off the comics if you do

No because they're being continuously used for real life movies. It would be one thing if you try to sneak in a one-off movie with say Luke Cage, Ms. Marvel, or Dr. Strange before the MCU or its TV spinoffs get to them, but the main MCU, X-Men, Fantastic Four, they're off-limits. Because Ant-Man was made into a film in Year 2, it's available for future films, but it still belongs currently to someone else.

DC had the advantage of being completely unused aside from the Nolanverse and the one bad Green Lantern movie. Aside from Batman/Superman, Blank can use pretty much everything else in that universe for his DCU.

For large franchise universes it's the characters that matter, so we're not going to have CAYOM Spider-Man or Iron Man or Superman or Luke Skywalker or Captain Kirk while the real world uses them.

Edited by Numbers of House Stark
  • Like 2

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to continue my DC universe. :P It's fun to do make the money from it, but ultimately writing it stifles creativity a lot. :/

You should continue! We need our superheroes.

You should continue! We need our superheroes.

I've actually been thinking about it a lot today; and now I'm making a plan for a complete phase 2. I do plan on transitioning the DCU to be quite a bit different than the MCU... think the current MCU crossed with the X-Men approach to making movies :)