Warhorse

Upcoming movies using IMAX cameras.

That interview with Bay is misleading. Looks like a typical marketing article. Either Bay isn't a tech guy, or he was just bullshitting. IMAX 3D cameras are basically Phantom 65's, and they capture only in 4K. The adventage of Phantom 65 is it has the biggest sensor of any digital cameras, 52.1 x 30.5 mm, almost twice as big as Red Epic Dragon. But it does capture in 4K, and Dragon does in 6K.

Bay's not a tech guy... I wouldn't expect most directors to be able to spit out detailed specs. I do wonder if there's some confusion somewhere whether the IMAX cameras are based on the Phantom 65 sensor (4k) or the new Sony F65 sensor (8K, but downsamples to 4K). Everything I've read says IMAX used the Phantom 65 sensor, but maybe the 4K/8K confusion comes from mixup over the very similar names.

In any case, resolution is only a small part of what makes an image look great... and from a post-production perspective a great many other concerns come into play as well (noise, latitude, etc). I'm sure these new IMAX 3D cameras produce a great-looking picture..... albeit one that still won't reach native 15/70 film.

Imax digital 3d camera is more than 4k, atleast 8k. The people from imax said you couldn't tell the difference between this and imax film camera.

I'm sure they would try to say with a straight face that the LieMAX screens are just as good as real IMAX screens like Lincoln Square near #ED.

Bay's not a tech guy... I wouldn't expect most directors to be able to spit out detailed specs. I do wonder if there's some confusion somewhere whether the IMAX cameras are based on the Phantom 65 sensor (4k) or the new Sony F65 sensor (8K, but downsamples to 4K). Everything I've read says IMAX used the Phantom 65 sensor, but maybe the 4K/8K confusion comes from mixup over the very similar names.

In any case, resolution is only a small part of what makes an image look great... and from a post-production perspective a great many other concerns come into play as well (noise, latitude, etc). I'm sure these new IMAX 3D cameras produce a great-looking picture..... albeit one that still won't reach native 15/70 film.

There is no confusion. They are using Phantom 65 sensors. IMAX announced their 3D camera in 2011. Sony F65 was released in 2012.

• Like 1