The Fault In Our Stars (2014)

45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Ah, fake teenage melodrama... How fun...

This movie tries too hard to be a beautiful and tear-jerking movie, while not even realizing that it can't be, because it's most clearly marketed for teens who've read the book. I don't think anyone over seventeen would read the book.

And I'd know because I'm Fifteen.

My ex-girlfriend took me to see this and of course I pretended to like it, because that's what you do. But on the inside, I was disappointed.

It's another teen movie that will die along with all the others.

And John Green needs to realize. That the things he writes about happen every day, and that it is not special.

3/10

F

Pretty silly review.  You don't mention one reason why you disliked it.  Only that you are fifteen and no one over that age would read it.  I'm 43 and read it.  And it's not going to be forgotten.  It's one of the most loved books of the last 5 years.

This movie tries too hard to be a beautiful and tear-jerking movie, while not even realizing that it can't be, because it's most clearly marketed for teens who've read the book. I don't think anyone over seventeen would read the book.

My ex-girlfriend took me to see this and of course I pretended to like it, because that's what you do. But on the inside, I was disappointed.

And John Green needs to realize. That the things he writes about happen every day, and that it is not special.

3/10

F

This film is utterly moving... Just like the book. ( the book is more moving actually.)

• Like 1

3/10

F

gif-4.gif

• Like 1

I just watched The Fault in Our Stars for the first time and to be honest, I kinda wanted to like it more than I did.

The source material seems very promising but I had a couple of complaints;

1.)I was far from ecstatic about the acting as everyone else seems to be.I liked Woodley more than Elgort but I thought that they both had some quite weak moments especially at the beginning of the movie. I found their chemistry not working at the start but by the end it actually was.

2.) I didn't really like Augustus character that much or at least the way he was portrayed doesn't make him justice. I think that the whole concept of him being a teenager that feels invincible and thinks he can rule the whole world felt a bit forced and didn't work out in the end. For example, the whole idea with cigarettes felt great in theory but for whatever reason it didn't work in practice. It's almost like qithout even having read the book I know that there is more potential than what is actually shown.

3.)I thought the whole plot point with the author was poor and feels hardly believeable to me. It seems to be trying to force the viewer/reader to feel emotions while there is not a satisfaying explanation about his behaviour. I found it intresting only from the perspective of thinking how it may feel for a moribund person to face such a disapointment or maybe how they still managed to have a good time and not let this destroy their trip. But all in all, a letdown.

Since I actually liked the movie overall though, I would like to point some things I enjoyed a lot.

1.)The movie gets proggressively better. After an underwhelming start it finds it's pace and the last minutes are truly very moving. It's like the whole chemistry comes together and works.

2.)The music is quite good and adds a nice teen spirit feel to a lot of the scenes.

3.)There was quite some smart humour towards the end especially with Isaac. I laughed a lot with the eggs scene for example and it generally is very motivating to see those characters having so much positivity under such difficult situations.

4.)The plot twist with Augustus dying comes as a nice surprise and adds a lot to a story that I expected to be predictable at the beginning.

Generally, I liked it more than I didn't but it felt to me like the execution could have been better. Far from one of my favourite coming of age films but still a moving story with a lot of emotional moments.

B-/C+