K1stpierre

America: Imagine a World Without Her (2014)

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'll go out in say it that this documentary is the worst film I have seen this year by a very good margin.  Most of the bad ones have either been mind dullingly boring or a laughable low-grade of terrible, but this movie manages to be outright insulting to the highest degree to anybody who doesn't fall under the audience it panders to with straw-man arguments, lies, manipulations, etc. (Ironically enough the exact things the movie is trying to "point out in the left.")

I mean, I wasn't expecting anything particularly intellectual given it was from the man who brought us 2016: Obama's America who was later charged for attempting to buy an election (from the guy creating a documentary trying to "expose" corrupt politicians").  

What I found funny was how this film manages to get progressively worse and dis-organized and cluttered as it goes along, as it tries to bring out just about every insult that far right conservatives like to use when defending its Wall Street execs and trying to demonize all of the left for being "disciples" of Alinsky and even going as far as saying Alinsky's role model was Lucifer (yes, he literally went there) and thus all of the left is a disciple of lucifer.  

He attempts to white wash many of the biggest dark spots in American history and attempts to justify them as okay and actually a "moral good" (Sounds like a southern plantation owner from the 1800s talking about Slavery).  He pulls out random historical exceptions, twists them, and then tries to say, "If they could do it, so could you!" or "See, this black man owned slaves!  That means all of the freed blacks in the south owned slaves, they were worse than whites!"

He continually says outright lies and tries to explain a history that he has absolutely no knowledge about.  It even gets to the point where he tries to explain how Capitalism isn't a corrupt system by using a model of a local burger joint saying, "They aren't trying to rip you off," while blatantly ignoring the corrupt Wall Street execs that are the ones that people complain about when talking about the corrupt system of Capitalism.  Not only that, he then goes back and unknowingly criticizes the people he was trying to defend when going off on an Obamacare rant and acting as if it were the downhill dark future of the country.

And now, not even on a content point, but on a style of documentary filming this was outright terrible.  It plays the very basic of manipulation cards such as playing ominous music while giving a brief half synopsis of an opposing view at the beginning, only to later go off an un-objective and untruthful rant about how America's dark spots in history are in fact made up by the far left to shame the American public into voting for them.  He continually misquotes Abraham Lincoln, and his actors that he uses to portray the different historical figures are so bland its disgusting.

His documentary is unfocused and unorganized, there are no redeemable qualities to this, none.  It isn't even at a so bad it's good level of media, because so many of the conservative right are eating this up as a truth (just as all of the audience in my theater with the exception of me gave this a very loud applause as it ended) and thus it's manipulating many to succumb to its slimy will.  It is an atrocious movie, so atrocious to the point that I am not giving this an F, I am giving this the rating I reserve to the worst of the worst of movies.

Z

• Like 6