iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

I've seen Waking Sleeping Beauty, Katzenberg was essential to the Renaissance but he had some opinions and suggestions which were not followed, for the better. The big one was that he wanted Part of Your World cut from The Little Mermaid. The defining song of the movie. One of the most important moments in the Disney Renaissance. That's right there with almost ruining Toy Story.Katzenberg has always been an enigma.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Posted ImageTOP 20 Countdown!Posted Image

#20: Shrek (2001) - 543 Points

Country of origin: USA (Dreamworks Animation)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
An ogre, in order to regain his swamp, travels along with an annoying donkey in order to bring a princess to a scheming lord, wishing himself King.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Shrek is the first film in the top 20! Out of the 11 Dreamworks Animation films in the list, it ranks #2. Sorry Jack Sparrow, looks like you were wrong too: 

Na... Kung Too Panda is there best

Well...Kung Fu Panda is a great movie.

But HTTYD is their best.

You are both wrong.
Shrek is their best.

IMDB trivia:
Mike Myers recorded Shrek's voice in a natural accentless voice before the film was test-screened. After watching it, he decided that the voice didn't sound right and had all of his lines re-recorded with a Scottish accent, based on the voice his mother used when reading him bedtime stories as a child.

BOF Blurb:
Films:

TRUE ANIMATION CLASSIC. The voice actors give fantastic performances- especially Mike, Cameron and Eddie, the characters are so well created and this film always makes me laugh. It is so funny

BOF User Review:
The best computer animation movie. Smart, irreverent and extremely funny. Great score and fantastic voice work.

A+

-jb007, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 15

#19: Pinocchio (1940) - 624 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A living puppet, with the help of a cricket as his conscience, must prove himself worthy to become a real boy.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Pinocchio makes the biggest point leap in the list so far, increasing 81 points from #20, Shrek. It also has the highest average of any film so far (with more than 3 votes), at 27.1. It's also the second oldest film in the list, after Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

IMDB trivia:
Despite the iconic nature of the scene in which Pinocchio's nose grows, it only happens once in the film.

BOF Blurb:
Pokearcher:
"Great characters, a likeable protagonist, adventure, funny / scary moments, and excellent animation make Pinocchio one of Disney's finest".

10 / 10

BOF User Review:
I love Pinocchio. Actually I just love Disney in general. Soooooo many great movies, and this is one of their most memorable.

5/5

-Jack Nevada, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 16

Tangled's characters are cliched, with no real flaws.

Rapunzel is perfect in every way. Cute, brave, talented at everything because she read about it, can fight, also magic hair. It feels like Disney tried way too hard to make her into a role model for little girls everywhere.

Rapunzel herself is a rehash of the better Ariel. Both are in love with something, Rapunzel with the lights and Ariel with the human world. Both have special talents, Rapunzel with magic hair, Ariel with her voice. Both have sidekicks that they to prevent them from going on their journey, Sebastian and Pascal. They leave their world to go on a journey, and along the way they meet a hot guy that they eventually marry.

Anna doesn't think things through before she does things. She is selfish at times, like yelling at her sister because she couldn't get what she wanted

Elsa has personality flaws, and magic that can be deadly if not controlled. Many people find her relatable due to everything she has to deal with in the movie

Perhaps Tangled's biggest crime is that is all its forgettable songs. I can't remember a single song from the movie. Generic and bland songs.

It has obnoxious Dreamworks humor. How is Flynn and Max falling down to the ground while hanging on a branch funny?

I like Tangled, but it is understandable why the movie has been completely overshadowed by Frozen in terms of boxoffice and cultural impact.

• Like 3

#18: Up (2009) - 634 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
By tying thousands of balloons to his home, 78-year-old Carl sets out to fulfill his lifelong dream to see the wilds of South America. Russell, a wilderness explorer 70 years younger, inadvertently becomes a stowaway.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Up is the first film from the Pixar Power PackTM to make an appearance. It ranks 27 spots above the next Pixar film, A Bug's Life (#45). Up received the fewest number of votes out of the Pixar Power PackTM members.

IMDB trivia:
In June 2009, 10-year-old Colby Curtin from Huntington Beach, California, was suffering from the final stages of terminal vascular cancer. Her dying wish was to live long enough to see Up (2009). Unfortunately, Colby was too sick to leave home and her family feared she would die without seeing the film. A family friend contacted Pixar, and a private screening was arranged for Colby. The company flew an employee with a DVD copy of "Up", along with some tie-in merchandise from the film. Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed, so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film. Seven hours after viewing the film, Colby passed away.

BOF User Review:
The first couple of times I saw it, I wasn't enamored with it.  But over time, it has grown on me.  "SQUIRREL" is one of the great lines in film over the last decade, imo.

7.5/10

-Baumer, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 15

I've seen Waking Sleeping Beauty, Katzenberg was essential to the Renaissance but he had some opinions and suggestions which were not followed, for the better. The big one was that he wanted Part of Your World cut from The Little Mermaid. The defining song of the movie. One of the most important moments in the Disney Renaissance. That's right there with almost ruining Toy Story.Katzenberg has always been an enigma.

Yeah, and not just Part of Your World but even Kiss the Girl! Man knows how to run the ship but he can be pretty clueless when it comes to steering in the correct creative direction. That's why Ashman, Menken and co. were Heroes of the Renaissance!

• Like 1

#17: Mulan (1998) - 634 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
To save her father from death in the army, a young maiden secretly goes in his place and becomes one of China's greatest heroines in the process.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Mulan is the 4th highest ranking 90s Disney film (and we're already at #17, what a golden age for the studio). It's also the lowest grossing English language film in the top 20 when adjusted for inflation (i.e. built up a bigger following after its theatrical run).

IMDB trivia:
In the original Chinese legend upon which this film was based, Mulan succeeds in her deception, and leaves the battlefield with great honors. Months later, Mulan's fellow soldiers come in search of their "brother"-in-arms, and are shocked to discover that she's a woman.

BOF blurb:
chasmmi:

Another major Surprise from last week. As great as Frozen is, it was a surprise for me to discover that Mulan had actually covered half of that groundbreaking territory 15 years earlier. Great characters, awesome songs and well crafted story to boot.

BOF User Review:
Doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves, but right up there in my top 5 Disney favorites.  The voice acting by Ming-Na and BD Wong (he's always awesome) is fantastic with great nuance that really sells their characters.  "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" are great additions to the Disney song library.  Great animation with CGI-assist that's no overbearing.  Quite a risk to try to bring this story to Western audiences and glad it paid off at the box office.

A+

-Biffman, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 18

IMDB trivia:

In June 2009, 10-year-old Colby Curtin from Huntington Beach, California, was suffering from the final stages of terminal vascular cancer. Her dying wish was to live long enough to see Up (2009). Unfortunately, Colby was too sick to leave home and her family feared she would die without seeing the film. A family friend contacted Pixar, and a private screening was arranged for Colby. The company flew an employee with a DVD copy of "Up", along with some tie-in merchandise from the film. Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed, so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film. Seven hours after viewing the film, Colby passed away.

I remember reading about this. Glad she experienced Ellie before passing. She sounded just as wonderful as her.

• Like 1