A Marvel Fanboy

Dreamworks Animation: What Went Wrong?

There's definitely got to be both, but the comedy is what needs to show strongly enough in the marketing. RotG comedy was weak no matter how much they tried to force it. Classic pixar trailers usually revolved around a simple and funny gag that sold the idea of the movie: Mr. Incredible trying to fit his belt on, McQueen and Mater driving down the highway together and getting hit by bugs, etc.

I'm starting to think them putting 3D on everything is one reason for declining. DWA has been making quality movies, but their attendance continues to drop. Some theaters don't offer non 3D choices, and even for ones that do, I'm sure some parents still have those high prices in their minds. Even where I'm from, where tickets cost only $6-$9, a 3D film for a family can be expensive. DWA should try making an IMAX deal. Same thing with Blue Sky and Pixar. I don't see Epic being as Epic as it looks. MU and DM2 will succeed because of their brand recog, but I'm unsure on Turbo and Croods. I wish DWA would just pick one film, like Turbo and Peabody and Sherman and not release it in 3D and see how it performs. I just have a feeling sales could improve.

Edited by jandrew

And it's animated?

The second paragraph says 

On Friday, the chief executive of DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. DWA +2.86%unveiled his latest China film project—"Tibet Code," an Indiana Jones-type adventure story based on a wildly popular series of recent Chinese novels set in 9th-century Tibet.

so I'm going to assume "Yes" it will be animated.

This article is no wrong, 'cause Katzenberg is indeed the CEO of "DreamWorks Animation".

But "Tibet Code" is an " "Oriental DreamWorks" production, a joint venture between DWA and China's CMC and SMG that will be making both animated and live action movies in Shanghai. And these future films all will be globally ditributed, through FOX intl. or else.

They are expecting to release "Tibet Code" somewhere in 2015.

Edited by firedeep