Rorschach

Rorschach's Top 50 Films of the Decade (2010-14): Some controversial choices on the way!

So...let's get started!

Much like Ethan's list, I will have a lot more films from a certain year on more than some (2010 will have less because I've only seen a couple of films from that year, most of which I really enjoyed and 2014 as I still am trying to catch up on films I've not seen in theaters).

I am perfectly fine with anyone heavily disagreeing with my choices. As long as you back up your reasoning or so behind your opinion, I will be okay with it. Although my taste in films is probably not on par with a majority of the people on this site, I still feel that I've grown in my appreciation for film ever since I started getting into the medium in 2010 so I do think my opinions mean something and aren't just simple-minded (even if some of my choices for the Top 50 are a bit questionable but hey, I think the same about everyone else here as well).

But hey, why listen to me ramble when we have a list to cover. Before we continue, here are some films that almost made the cut but unfortunately were outclassed by my other choices.

In order of earliest release to latest:

Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010)

Horrible Bosses (2011)

The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

The Grey (2012)

Sinister (2012)

Evil Dead (2013)

2014 films that I've seen since making this list back at the end of December so they won't make it on but would have had I made it closer to now.

They include:

American Sniper

The Babadook

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Interview

Selma

Snowpiercer

Now with all that out of the way, let us ACTUALLY get started.

• Like 2

"Thanks for the crime!"

#50: Jackass Present's Bad Grandpa (2013)

An odd choice for sure but I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say I had an absolute blast watching this film. At times, this film had me laughing for minutes on end long after a scene had ended (the restaurant scene in particular had me laughing so hard that afterward, it hurt to breathe). Just thinking about some of the scenes as I type this right now makes me chuckle a little.

The story is nothing really that special but that honestly doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of it. While I think Tommy Boy is a much better Road Trip comedy than this, it still really works as we see a variety of different places used to its advantage seeing all the situations the Grandpa gets himself into. It also helps that the make-up used on Johnny Knoxville is extremely convincing in that if you never knew who he was before seeing the film, you'd almost be shocked to learn the truth. The kid actor is incredibly good in this as well, playing off Knoxville really well and also never breaking character by accident making for a really convincing portrayal. I won't be surprised in the slightest if his career picks up in the next couple of years because he has an undeniable amount of talent to back him up.

And to think that I'd like this film more than Guardians of the Galaxy and Edge of Tomorrow is shocking.

• Like 1

"You may call me Hitch. Hold the cock"

49. Hitchcock (2012)

Another really weird choice and I have to agree. Which is why I love it so much. Anthony Hopkins is spectacular as the great Alfred Hitchcock and Helen Mirren is even more spectacular as his wife. Like some people, I was a little disappointed by the film's few shortcomings that it had but it was a rather fun watch.

Short summary as its been an incredibly long time since I last saw the film.

• Like 4

"My thirst for adventure will never be quenched"

48. Puss in Boots (2011)

While I wouldn't say it's as good as Shrek 2, this a highly enjoyable family film that has instant rewatchability. Antonio Banderas, at this point, practically owns his role as Puss. I can't really picture anyone else playing the role except him. He is that good. The supporting cast do a fairly decent job as well, even if most of them aren't incredibly memorable. However, this is still a highly enjoyable film. Perfectly fun for the whole family.

• Like 5

"I find it hard to respect someone just because they outrank me, sir"

47. Ender's Game (2013)

If I ever make a list of the most underrated movies of all time list, this would probably make my Top 10. If not, for certain my Top 20. This is a truly entertaining film with a really talented young cast steering the film. Asa Butterfield is an undeniably great actor. First The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, then Hugo, and now this. He's shown that he is not just your normal run of the mill child actor that won't go anywhere. He actually has some legit acting chops. If only the films he starred in weren't financial disapointments (Wolfman, Hugo, Ender's Game).

The rest of the young cast do a good job as well though Steinfeld's acting is less than stellar compared to her role in True Grit (which won't make the list sadly) but she does a decent job with what she is given. The adult actors, while not particularly memorable in their roles, are still decent. Ford is good and keeps his cliched finger-pointing gruff acting to a minimum, Davis is rather forgettable but passable, but Kingsley is rather wasted in his very small role though he does provide a pretty sweet introductory scene for his character. The visual effects are really great and never noticeable (making for some really breathtaking shots) while the sound design, despite being rather uninspired, makes you feel like you're in the moment (I saw this in the theater and the scene where the rocket ship leaves earth, I could literally feel the theater around me shaking almost as if an earthquake was occurring).

I will admit however, this came out way past when it should've came out. The book was made in 1985 and it probably would've been wise, financially, to have made the book around the late 90s and early 2000s. Which is most likely why it disapointed at the box office as mostly everybody had forgotten about the existence of the book and were distracted by other Young Adult offerings at the time.

Still this is in my opinion an underrated classic that's highly entertaining and one that you should definitely check out if you haven't already.

• Like 5

"Big things have small beginnings"

46. Prometheus (2012)

I honestly can't put into words why I don't hate this film like mostly everybody on social media. Maybe it's because I'm not that big of fan of the Alien franchise (the first two were good but I wouldn't say they are my favorites of all time), maybe the problems some people had with it weren't really that bothersome to me, I don't really know. What I can say though is that I found this to be a very interesting and thrilling film with really great performances from Rapace, Elba (who's good in almost everything, even if it sucks), and most notably Fassbender.

I don't know. I just found this to be a really engaging film and the problems that I've heard didn't really bother me. Though I will admit, it seemed like pretty dumb idea to try and tie this in with the Alien franchise. Why couldn't this have been a completely original idea? Oh well, I was still rather entertained by it.

• Like 2

We all have secrets: the ones we keep... and the ones that are kept from us.

45. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

I think I'm one of the rare few people who actually like both versions of this universe, The Raimi films and The Webb films. Personally I think all of the films that have come out under the Spider-Man name are really good and really entertaining. Are they without their flaws? No, definitely not but they are still enjoyable and fun to watch. Out of all of them, I'd have to say this one would be my second favorite out of the five films that have all come out. Comparing this to Spider-Man, in terms of total memorability, it's rather weak. However, I do find myself coming back to this one more due to the fact that I find the acting to be much better and the characters a little more fleshed out. I really do dig the more serious tone that it tries to go for (despite having a few scenes that are relatively odd tonally) over the goofiness of the originals. I don't really know.

Point is, I find both series to be great in their own rights (I liked Spider-Man 3, deal with it) but personally, I think this is one of the best that both universes have put out so far.

(As much as I've seemingly bashed ASM2, I still find it rather enjoyable at parts. Still the weakest out of the five though).

Edited by Rorschach Ackerman
  • Like 1

"You may call me Hitch. Hold the cock"

49. Hitchcock (2012)

Another really weird choice and I have to agree. Which is why I love it so much. Anthony Hopkins is spectacular as the great Alfred Hitchcock and Helen Mirren is even more spectacular as his wife. Like some people, I was a little disappointed by the film's few shortcomings that it had but it was a rather fun watch.

Short summary as its been an incredibly long time since I last saw the film.

I need to see this film, I keep forgetting about it.

• Like 2