Ezen Baklattan

The 3rd Annual BOFFY Ceremony - The Grand Budapest Hotel Dominates!

Another tribute for one of the more interesting choices for Best Picture.

captain-america-the-winter-soldier-spoil

o-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-THE-WINTER-SOLDIER-900

3937780-4872594335-Capta.gif

21ba95000b7028c6dda370da31ec5f9d-gif-of-

I knew this was going to be good when I saw that the Russo bros are directing. Anyone who saw 'A Fistful of Paintballs' episode of Community knew they had it in them and it shows because the action in this movie is absolutely fantastic. Great choreography and use of practical effects all round. However, the biggest asset of the film is how it feels so grounded and so small at times amid the insane destruction. The character of Captain America is one of the most fascinating characters I have ever seen on the big screen and it is surprising that, after all this time, I am still shocked and amazed by the things he does. The Winter Soldier brings this out very nicely and I can't wait to see more of their interaction in the future as the final 'battle' between them was so perfect and emotional that I almost cried. Pity there wasn't more of him (the movie is called The Winter Soldier, one would expect him to be in it a bit more)

The cast is so spot on that I shouldn't even have to mention them. I will, however, single out Robert Redford as a newcomer who owns every scene he is in. He literally just has to stand there to look like a boss and it is showcased best in his interactions with the World Government where it is just obvious how inferior they are to him. Too bad he died because I would have loved to see more of the character. Evans, ScarJo, Sam Jackson and Stan also give great performances.

Regarding the plot and the pacing, everything is pretty much perfect in the first 2/3 of the movie, we get a good setup, two great action sequences and some unexpected moments. I really liked how they turned the tables on SHIELD/HYDRA front and how they practically 'rebooted' the organisation. However, in the final act we get a predictable, over-elaborate and too convoluted action sequence (those seem standard nowadays). Maybe it gets better on the second viewing, but it felt somewhat tiring and some of the plot points were hard to follow (like what exactly did Cap have to do on the carrier and why). Also, the Falcon/Grillo fight was kinda shoehorned in there. It was saved in the end by The Winter Soldier himself, it was really interesting seeing him losing it and later saving Cap. I can't wait to see what will they do with him next.

-Darkelf

• Like 8

Now we move on to the film categories. The biggest piece of shit film of 2014 starts us off! What are the nominees?

I, Frankenstein

Left Behind

Maleficent

The Nut Job

Tammy

And the Boffy of shame goes to...

I_Frankenstein_Poster.jpg

It's amazing what the power of Shitto can do. Someone please let Fishnets know about her moral victory here.

• Like 7

The final cut is a long road for a film. Here are the nominees for Best Editing:

Birdman

Boyhood

Edge of Tomorrow

Gone Girl

Selma

And the winner is...

Holy shit!

Shooting-Monsters.gif

EDGE OF TOMORROW

An awesomely cut film contributing to the smooth and brisk story that carries it along. I love how much this film collectively surprised this community.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 10

Also vital to the film's success is what the camera captures. Here are the nominees for Best Cinematography.

Birdman

Gone Girl

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Interstellar

Under The Skin

And the winner is...

KnyBJMJt6ASL60hBiTlTI59N1eQ.GIF

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

Birdman may have had a cool trick, but Robert Yeoman + Wes Anderson is always something magical. It's about time he got some good recognition.

• Like 11

Best Picture Nominee #4:

maxresdefault.jpg

dawn-planet-apes-dawn-of-the-planet-of-t'

dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes4.jpg

Taking place about 10 years after Rise, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes sees Caesar as the leader of a group of apes in the forest outside a ruined San Francisco. Everything seems to be going fine as they haven’t seen a human in years. They have a city in the trees. Caesar has a son and another is born early on in the movie. Familiar faces Koba and Maurice return as Caesar’s biggest allies. However, when you have this much, you have a lot to lose. That’s the beating heart of this movie.

Family and survival. Is it possible when you have two opposing sides that don’t trust one another? Can there be peace? Why not? These are all questions raised by Dawn and it takes a long hard look at the answers, and they aren’t easy.

Caesar was raised by kind humans so he trusts them. Koba was raised in a lab and experimented on his whole life, so he hates humans. Koba’s “human work” realization is scary and makes you immediately sympathetic to him even if you don’t agree with him. That’s what this movie does so well, you see the faults in both sides and know that neither is fully to blame.

This is the 8th Apes film and director Matt Reeves has crafted a film that can easily stand next to, and in my opinion, above most all of them. There are strong characters, motivations, and political subtext. Everything a good Apes movie needs, including a hell of a downer ending.

None of this would even be possible if it weren’t for two things: two incredible performances and some of the most incredible effects I have ever seen. Everyone knows how amazing Andy Serkis is by now, and he is phenomenal. Toby Kebbell’s Koba is the breakout here. He’s menacing and terrifying in equal parts. The perfect antithesis to Caesar in the saddest way possible.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a hell of a movie. I can’t remember the last time I was this shaken up watching a summer blockbuster. It is exciting, thought-provoking, intense, and unpredictable.

-Boner Omega

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 5

Here are the nominees for Best Production Design, the key to a film's overall look:

Birdman

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

Interstellar

Snowpiercer

The Boffy goes to...

grand_budapest_hotel_5-620x435.jpg

gbh07-jpg.jpg?w=600

grand_budapest_hotel.jpg

This is the fourth win for Budapest tonight, and it happens to fall into the category where art direction is simply critical to Anderson's own direction and storytelling. A very deserving winner.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 9