Ezen Baklattan

The 3rd Annual BOFFY Ceremony - The Grand Budapest Hotel Dominates!

This is, Snowpiercer cold
Rosamund Pike, that white gold.
This one, for those good girls,
Katniss, Murphy, straight masterpieces
Stylin, while in, Livin' it up in Nova Prime
For all the hot awards in town,
There's never been a better time!

It's too hot, (hot damn!)
Got Chris Pratt as a LEGO man,
With a messy Budapest painting plan,
Cause Ceasar wants peace with the man,
And they all got that money - break it down!

Welcome to the 3rd Annual Box Office Theory Forum Awards! We'll get started right after these messages!

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 6

The first nomination for Best Motion Picture:

banner-birdman-film_page_np.jpg

tumblr_nie3h6GM7N1rnyyk3o1_500.gif

Birdman, or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance, is a hard film to put a finger on, but you can’t help but leave the theater exhilirated. You find yourself in the shoes of Riggan Thompson (Michael Keaton), a washed up actor creating one last, ambitious act of redemption in the form of a play he is directing. Along the way, he has to deal with a snobbish actor, his ex-druggie daughter, and his own relationship troubles. It all comes filtered to us through his unbelievably messed up vision of the world. We soon realize there’s no escape from this world becoming deeper and deeper, but for myself, I slowly began to lose myself in it.

To heighten the own mental instability and unstable pace of Thompson, the movie gives us the illusion of constant motion through editing tricks to make the film seem produced in just one shot. It’s a unique tactic that draws us further down the rabbit hole and continues to create a more absurdist, bizarre take on the surprising melancholy and darkness of the situation. It’s definitely a comedy with some very sharp moments, but it never ignores the fact that pretty much all characters in this movie are fucked up in some way, either in terms of longing for something or general insecurities, if not both.

Birdman feels angry and confused at times, but I feel like this is important to tie into our own main character in this story. Birdman feels less like a scathing indictment of contemporary Hollywood, from arrogant actors to cruel critics to apathetic audiences, but the general ugliness of the indictment ends up highlighting Thompson’s own fucked up, delusional world. It becomes more of a tragedy than satire in that regard, moving something that would ordinarily be cynical into a more existential range of thinking. It explores human needs and desires above all else, filtered through a niche group of people, of course, but the movie still ties in to these fairly universal themes.

I legitimately understand why people would have a problem with the movie. The line of thought with the characters and the messages the movie is trying to create overlap a great deal, and its bitter cynicism can come off as a bit too strong if not even short-sighted. However, I think the movie is still not limiting itself to what it wants to say about Hollywood, and it instead shows us the yearning yet unstable side of humanity that exists within our very spirits. I don’t think Hollywood has released a film this messy, angry, innovative, or bold in quite a while. Birdman truly takes flight.

-Spaghetti Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 7

The first nomination for Best Motion Picture:

MV5BODAzNDMxMzAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMx

tumblr_nie3h6GM7N1rnyyk3o1_500.gif

Birdman, or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance, is a hard film to put a finger on, but you can’t help but leave the theater exhilirated. You find yourself in the shoes of Riggan Thompson (Michael Keaton), a washed up actor creating one last, ambitious act of redemption in the form of a play he is directing. Along the way, he has to deal with a snobbish actor, his ex-druggie daughter, and his own relationship troubles. It all comes filtered to us through his unbelievably messed up vision of the world. We soon realize there’s no escape from this world becoming deeper and deeper, but for myself, I slowly began to lose myself in it.

To heighten the own mental instability and unstable pace of Thompson, the movie gives us the illusion of constant motion through editing tricks to make the film seem produced in just one shot. It’s a unique tactic that draws us further down the rabbit hole and continues to create a more absurdist, bizarre take on the surprising melancholy and darkness of the situation. It’s definitely a comedy with some very sharp moments, but it never ignores the fact that pretty much all characters in this movie are fucked up in some way, either in terms of longing for something or general insecurities, if not both.

Birdman feels angry and confused at times, but I feel like this is important to tie into our own main character in this story. Birdman feels less like a scathing indictment of contemporary Hollywood, from arrogant actors to cruel critics to apathetic audiences, but the general ugliness of the indictment ends up highlighting Thompson’s own fucked up, delusional world. It becomes more of a tragedy than satire in that regard, moving something that would ordinarily be cynical into a more existential range of thinking. It explores human needs and desires above all else, filtered through a niche group of people, of course, but the movie still ties in to these fairly universal themes.

I legitimately understand why people would have a problem with the movie. The line of thought with the characters and the messages the movie is trying to create overlap a great deal, and its bitter cynicism can come off as a bit too strong if not even short-sighted. However, I think the movie is still not limiting itself to what it wants to say about Hollywood, and it instead shows us the yearning yet unstable side of humanity that exists within our very spirits. I don’t think Hollywood has released a film this messy, angry, innovative, or bold in quite a while. Birdman truly takes flight.

-Spaghetti

If this were an actual awards show and someone were giving this speech just imagine me doing this

• Like 6

And now to celebrate the people who make us laugh on a daily basis, the nominees for Funniest Poster are....

Chewy

Claire Holt

CoolioD1

MrPink

Telemachos

And the first Boffy of 2015 goes to...

"the weird thing is that they weren't even at a fifty shades showing. they were watching mortdecai."

"I'll say this though, thank goooooooood facebook/twitter weren't prevalent when I was 15. I think I alone could've increased the internet's stupid level by about 8%."

"HASHTAG TRANSCENDECAI."

CoolioD1!

He's sassy, salty, and always brilliant. Congrats to our resident Mordecai fanboy.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 14

And there are also users we love just for being fucking awesome. The nominees for Most Valued Poster are...

Baumer

Rth

ShawnMR

Telemachos

And the Boffy goes to...

atm friday looking like ultron 102.5-105 lb 25-27 age 2-2.5 sftw 400k-500k

wouldnt rule out 60m+ for jurassic world

RTH!

We are Box Office Theory are privileged to spend time with such a benevolent god. Let us sing his praises.

• Like 15

The second of 10 Best Picture nominees:

boyhood.jpg

ellarmaster.jpg

tumblr_ni1cvq3ZOX1spdabbo3_1280.gif

In so many stories, there are profound dramatic moments that often serve as dramatic statements to act as something of a thesis statement to the movie, which is so hell-bent on making a statement about whatever it needs to. It comes off as sometimes pompous or conceited, yet we often see it so much in a lot of Oscar contenders and beloved movies today. However, this isn’t always the case, but at other times, the movie as a whole becomes the statement itself. For that, I present to you, Boyhood.

Boyhood is a 12-year trek through the life of a young boy from being a child to Freshman year of College. It tackles all of the ups and downs of growing up, from spending time with family and friends, enjoying the culture of the time period, to dealing with the struggle of a broken family and trying to find his own passion amidst criticism and confusion. We just get to see what his life becomes and how he tries to adapt to how his family, his life, and his world changes.

But that’s the beauty of this movie. It takes a look at growing up and simply runs with it. It’s a celebration of life, family, friendship, and the magic of childhood and everything that comes with it. These aren’t heroes who go on brave adventures and defeat evil, but Linklater shows us that a simple and loving life can still have so much spirit, peril, and heart. He’s only telling us to live in the moment, follow our hearts, and stay close to those who love and care about us, but he uses the whole movie to reflect on our own lives and recall our own childhoods, perhaps even tying our own to Mason’s. As someone born only a year after Ellar Coltrane, I have to admit the movie had an especially profound impact on me, seeing as I essentialy grew up right beside Mason this whole time. That’s not to say that it’s a generational thing at all, of course, but it was my way of connecting to this movie that so many people who watch it will easily find.

It’s not exclusively about childhood, of course, as the movie also explores the joys and fears of parenthood just as they do with Mason’s life. This comes to us beautifully through the relationship of Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke, divided in their marriage but united in their love for their children. They are still trying to understand the world, especially as Mason becomes an adult himself, but it all adds up to a timeless portrait of the spirit and heart of family.

In the end, Boyhood is funny, fascinating, sad, thoughtful, innovative, wise, reminiscent, unique, moving, hopeful, profound, idealistic, engaging, empathetic, and so much more. It’s not a movie, but an experience, a reflection and celebration of life at its most confusing and beautiful. Thank you, Mr. Linklater, for making something so touching to our very hearts.

-Spaghetti

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 8

For the first time in forever, we had a little story writing craze this summer. Let's see what was the best!

Jandrew's Forum Games

Archer's BOF Murder Mystery

MrPink's The Box Office Knight Saga

And the winner is....

ibfjiVWh7DRwhp.gif

THE BOX OFFICE KNIGHT

A saga of fear, hope, life, and one man's unconditional love for Christopher Nolan. I love you guys so much.

• Like 11

The nominees for Best Thread are...

GOTG Weekend Numbers

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 Weekend Numbers

Baumer's Films That People Have Been Brainwashed Into Loving

And the Boffy goes to....

GOTG WEEKEND NUMBERS

A crazy thread dedicated to one of the craziest and most joyful runs of the summer/

• Like 11

And now to celebrate the people who make us laugh on a daily basis, the nominees for Funniest Poster are....

Chewy

Claire Holt

CoolioD1

MrPink

Telemachos

And the first Boffy of 2015 goes to...

"the weird thing is that they weren't even at a fifty shades showing. they were watching mortdecai."

"I'll say this though, thank goooooooood facebook/twitter weren't prevalent when I was 15. I think I alone could've increased the internet's stupid level by about 8%."

"HASHTAG TRANSCENDECAI."

CoolioD1!

He's sassy, salty, and always brilliant. Congrats to our resident Mordecai fanboy.

tumblr_inline_n89m7kruGd1qk4lg7.gif

• Like 7

What was our most hated box office run of the year? Let's find out. Here are the nominees:

Edge of Tomorrow

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Interstellar

The Interview

Maleficent

And the winner is...

tumblr_m9cfzeDetv1qgddtk.gif

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 - $49m/$177m/$610m

This movie's run wasn't that bad, to be honest, especially considering how well it did overseas compared to its predecessor, but there's no denying how underwhelming it was here. It had a pretty solid release date with little competition, but seemed to have a marketing hook too serious for most children and ended up losing a lot of family audiences to the (rather reviled on here) Maleficent. It's also quite a sad sign for Dreamworks, which had only one hit since Madagascar 3, that being The Croods. The studio seems to be stuck in a really unfortunate rut, especially with how many have been laid off recently. Here's hoping it can at least find something better with the third film and maintain the brand's great respect from critics and audiences.

• Like 6

And now, for our favorite box office run!

Gone Girl

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Guardians of the Galaxy

Interstellar 
(But seriously, make up your fucking mind, forums)

The LEGO Movie

And the winner is...

tumblr_mutrbakjku1r091sko1_500.gif

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL - $800k/$59m/$174m

I'm attributing the great success of this movie, easily becoming Anderson's highest attended film to date and most seen worldwide, to the overall goodwill Anderson has built up over his career. It offered a lively plotline and promised more of Anderson's traditional absurdist and hip charm with a curiously entertaining caper set in 1930s Eastern Europe. The goodwill lingered even longer since its March release, and now here we are with one of the biggest and most well recieved films of the year. Only time will tell how far it can go.

• Like 11