DOPE  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

As I was watching Dope in a almost empty theater, it sadden me that the majority of film goers will probably not be seeing this film because its a very well made film that deserves to be watched. Its really funny, good acting especially from Shameik Moore, a fantastic soundtrack, and just a good time. If you get the chance, go see this movie.

Grade: A-

Dope is an odd film. It has a great lead performance in Shameik Moore. and the direction is competent for most of it. The story is always enticing, but I can't really say it has a plot persay... halfway through, the main goal changes, and the film just starts feeling odd. There's no real dramatic arcs going on in it, and it's full of references to just about everything. There's fun characters in it, which ultimately makes it watchable, but definitely a tad overhyped. Dope is an interesting movie that fits in the Sundance mold, but could've used a bit more time in pre-production to make it a truly memorable entry in the coming-of-age subgenre. C+