2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

If you've seen Asif Kapadia's previous docu-biopic 'Senna' then you'll know what to expect here. A painstakingly crafted montage of archive footage, narrated by friends and family (but who are never seen in the usual 'talking head' format). Just as with 'Senna', this creates a hugely immersive experience, the overall effect feeling like a lucid memory.

However, where 'Senna' was largely a heroic tragedy, 'Amy' is a much darker and more disturbing affair. Whatever your thoughts on Amy Winehouse the media persona, I defy anyone to watch this and not feel as though we were robbed of a startlingly talented voice and songwriter. What's more, 'Amy' doesn't shy away from pointing the finger of blame at those closest to her (it's telling that her father has since distanced himself from the film).

Your thoughts on the film will probably depend largely on how you feel about the subject. For the record, I loved Amy Winehouse (I saw her live at one of those shambolic 2008 era gigs), so yes, I AM a little biased. That being said, I spent the last 20 minutes (probably more) a sobbing mess. The genius of 'Amy' isn't just that it hammers home how drugs are bad (it does), or how much of a waste and how sad it all was (it does that too), but that it paints a complete picture of an extremely complex character.

• Like 1

Haunting and tragic. One comment that stood out, after her win at the Grammys, she told her friend (paraphrasing now) that she was so bored without drugs. Very well done, compelling and utterly harrowing, it seems she was on that course no matter what, there was an air of inevitability.

****¼/*****, (A-, 8.4/10, 3.25/4)