Master Scottb

What if Mace Windu had allowed Anakin to come along to arrest Palpatine?

Lots of spoilers aheadIn Revenge of the Sith, Anakin tells Windu his belief that Palpatine is the Sith Lord. Mace Windu then decides to head off with a group of Jedi to arrest Palpatine. Anakin expresses his desire to come along and help, but Windu denies his request and makes Anakin stay at the Jedi temple. Mace Windu and his Jedi friends head off to arrest Palpatine while Anakin stays behind and stews over the situation. What if Windu had allowed Anakin to come along? Would Palpatine have attacked Anakin as well, or would he have come along quietly?

I don't think Palpatine would have attacked anyone if Anakin was there. If Palpatine attacked first like he did and Anakin was there, I think Anakin would have fought against him. Anakin just wanted him alive.Other options are Palpatine would have found some way to have the Jedi start it all to make himself still be the "victim" to keep Anakin on his side.If not that, I believe he would have let himself get arrested and found another way to persuade Anakin.

I think he would first attempt to persuade Anakin that the Jedi were simply using this to do a coup (saying that the Jedi are corrupt in wanting to control the galaxy). If that didn't sway Anakin, he would go quietly but then try to engage in some Hannibal Lecter banter with Anakin over time to get to him.The ROTS novelization sort of indicates that Palpatine had a very narrow window to act to corrupt Anakin. So long as Obi-Wan and Yoda were around, he couldn't do it, since Yoda would definitely accompany Windu to arrest Palpatine (and there's no way Palps could fight both of them and win) and Obi-Wan would be the only person who could talk Anakin down in a situation where he's on the brink. But, with Palps manipulating events to force Yoda and Obi-Wan off-planet, neither were around. If Anakin was there and Palps went quietly, he'd have very limited time to sway Anakin before either Yoda or Obi-Wan returned to Coruscant.